Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wheel center question, need thoughts....

Default wheel center question, need thoughts....

I have a set of beadlock wheels for a 8 lug chevy pattern that have a set of new 37-14-15's on them. First off will a 15" wheel clear the drum brakes on a m-715? If no then forget the rest. I was wondering if anyone had tried to remove the centers from a steel wheel and recenter it? I know that this is done all the time with hummer wheels, but I have never seen an article or how-to on a regular set of wheels. My thought is to chock the wheel in a lathe and cut the center out leaving a lip. Weld in a new blank center, then recut the center on the lathe for a trued center and measure and redrill the m-715 bolt circle on the mill. I have thought about this every way I can think of and cannot see a down side to it, I have spoken to a couple friends who are welders and mechanical/structural engineers and all have told me it is doable. General consensus is that if I use 1/4 cold rolled for the blank center and tig it in that it should actually be stronger than the origional. This seemed a better alternative to me that removing the entire center section of the wheel and welding it in. This method would also make it easier to keep everything centered and true. any help is appreciated, basically looking for the reason that this is not possible before I start cutting up the wheels. Snakeater

noone got a negative in doing it this way? OK, here we go.......
    COWBELL, you need more of it

I think jeepistdoug did something like that. Might try a search.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

It can be done...you need to have very little runout...like way down in the thousanths of an inch...

I searched for everything I could find before asking, I didn't see anything regarding this. I am gonna give it a whirl, if it won't work then I can always cut out the centers and redo it with a new center. Snakeater

Yes, 15" rims will barely fit. But, a drop center rim probably won't. I assume you have a set of HMMWV rims? Or at least something similar. I am not trying to bring the "great debate" up again, but you might want to look at CUCV axles. I say that because if you farm the wheel work out to a shop, you will spend pretty close to what the CUCV axles will cost you if you are patient in your search. Especially now with a lot of collections being put up for sale in these tough times.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

What's your time worth?

Marsh can build a set probably cheaper shipped than you can do yourself.

As far as being doable: Certainly. With a large enough lathe (at least a 15" swing) a dial indicator, and the welding equipment, it could be done.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

i have all the tools needed to acomplish the task, and the time to do it. My time to me is free, to everyone else is kinda pricey....LOL. I will have more to report in a couple days as I plan to light this candle tomorrow. If it works I will post pics and info., if it don't I will digress.......snakeater

As semi-official and self-appointed management I pledge to the group to take and post pictures of the upcoming project. As far as assisting in the actual project i shall offer advice while leaning on something and drinking coffee.

If this work it will be solely due to my expertise and guidance. If it doesnt dont think I didnt tell him so. If anyone looses a finger rest assured it wont be me........

Dave in Tenn

some food for thought here. My friend (mechanical engineer)and I have stumbled onto something that may or may not be new, but we think it may just work. In measuring the the 8 lug chevy wheel that I want to convert to 6x7.25 I noticed that there was sufficient metal surrounding the existing bolt pattern to machine another bolt pattern into it. The idea is to remachine the bolt pattern into this wheel and weld up the origional holes to add the strength back. The hub diameter is 5.180 on the 8 lug chvy wheel and 5.350 on the m-715 stock wheel ( or therabouts) it would simply require the hub center hole to be opened up slightly to mate perfectly. I think we will attempt this first, then if this doesn't work proceed to cutting just the bolt pattern out, then if need be replace the entire wheel center as a last resort. Let you know something tomorrow. snakeater