Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FNG with question about power steering and suspension

Default FNG with question about power steering and suspension

First off I am new here and this is my first 715. I have had everything else and always wanted a m-715, just never seemed to have the money at the right time. got one and I am never going back. Let the mods begin, I plan to drive this thing which has led to these questions.
    Question 1: What steering box is used with the most success to convert to power steering? I already have a 350 with turbo 400 tranny, so I know a stock GM power steering pump. I have searched and found that a wagoneer will work, but is there any new info. on this?
    Question 2: Has anyone tried removing leaves in the spring pack to soften the suspension? I don't want to lose any lift, just soften then factory spring pack for better offroad use. Or is there better way to accomplish this on a budget? Thanks Snakeater

The GM car box IS the Jeep Wagoneer power steering box...either works...the stock truck uses 3 bolts...the power boxes can use 4...many like to drill the 4th hole clear through the frame and add a spacer inside the frame from side to side to reinforce the hole.

People remove leaves...up to 2 and you are ok...3 and you start getting spring wrap...staring with the shortest leaf, and calling it #1, remove #1 and #3 OR for a little more flex remove #2 and 4.

You wont lose much on height...you will lose carrying capacity...but you will get a better ride.

I got my PS box out of a 78 wagoneer direct bolt in. Only problems I realy had was the top bolt in the front is kind of a PITA to get to

thanks guys, that takes care of my questions for now.

for the top front bolt on the steering box i used a socket like this http://www.mytoolstore.com/wilmar/w1126c.jpg and a ratchet wrench. worked great, its hard to fit any other tool in that little hole, can hardley get my fingers in it to get the bolt in.
    my signature is sweet huh?

If you cut a slot in the end of the bolt you can use a skinny flat tip screwdriver and spin it in till the head flushes up at the hard to tighten spot, then struggle.

I used a saginaw 76 box and it mounted up without issue.

what is the application for that box dockill, make and model of vehicle would help. My next project is to get the rollcage madeup and a top on the m-715 as it is nasty weather here and she is topless. Truck is 98 percent rust free and I want to keep it that way. Already has some custom body work ala---my buddy Dave that has surely increased the value(LOL). Next after the top work is power steering and spring work. I have a picture inmy mind for this truck that I am working towards. Imagine a three color desert load up and drive to hell vehicle.....and your close. Snakeater
    COWBELL, you need more of it

Its the same application...of all the different boxes GM and Jeep used, there is one that has a "76" cast ino the housing that is said to be stronger than the others.

I agree that the 76 box is the one to use but there is a few different gear ratios in them They are not all the same. I will be using one from a 87 wrangler and it has a ratio of 14:1 The wagoneer (1978) has a ratio of 20/16:1 must be a variable rate. Either way, there are a bunch of ratios out there that have an identical looking box. I checked out some other years of trucks and 1982 jeep truck has a 16.1/13:1 ratio. 1981 Jeep CJ-7 is 17.51:1

If anyone wants to know the exact ratio of their steering box, I can tell you for any year any model 4x4 made from 1945-2000. Not that I have them memorised, I just have a book called The standard catalog of 4X4s 1945-2000