Thread: Axle breathers

Jester Guest

Default Axle breathers

Trail Gear has these cool little bellows that replace axle breathers (http://www.trail-gear.com/diff-breather.html). I am thinking of running these on my axles instead of breather hoses/vents. Any drawbacks that anyone would see in this? Could you also use one on the transfer case / transmission? I like that they keep the system closed so no water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Trail Gear has these cool little bellows that replace axle breathers (http://www.trail-gear.com/diff-breather.html). I am thinking of running these on my axles instead of breather hoses/vents. Any drawbacks that anyone would see in this? Could you also use one on the transfer case / transmission? I like that they keep the system closed so no water.
    Cool idea. I would be a little concerned about how they are "calibrated". In other words, even with the expansion of the plastic, it is still a closed system. Could the axle get hot enough or put out enough gas to overwhelm the leeway it gives you? I don't know, just a question.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chicklin View Post
    Cool idea. I would be a little concerned about how they are "calibrated". In other words, even with the expansion of the plastic, it is still a closed system. Could the axle get hot enough or put out enough gas to overwhelm the leeway it gives you? I don't know, just a question.
    Kinda what I was thinking too. I don't know how much pressure an axle really puts out so I have no way to judge.

Jester Guest

Even cheaper option. The guys on Pirate say these are made of better material too.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/pscvb0...low-p-569.html

Plastic in this area would shatter in a few years...

Whats wrong with venting to the air cleaner? If that gets under water, you have big problems beyond water in the diff...

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Whats wrong with venting to the air cleaner? If that gets under water, you have big problems beyond water in the diff...
    The vent system is a long mess of hoses that could (and have on my truck) clog. I took out the long mess of brittle hose and put normal vents on the trans and t case. The axles still have the short rubber hose on them but I need to cap them with something. A closed system seems better - if it works.

I used little valve I purchased at Olympic and routed them up high outta the way for water. If water gets in it will be up to my chest .

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    I used little valve I purchased at Olympic and routed them up high outta the way for water. If water gets in it will be up to my chest .
    Think Al is the only one that wants to try that.