Thread: wiring harness

Default wiring harness

im wondering if i should make/buy a new harness. how reliable is the wiring in these trucks. the wires dont seem bad. i feel its the outer protective cover that makes me think the wires arnt worth anything... anyways should i try and use my old harness or should i toss it?
    my signature is sweet huh?

Are you going back 24V or 12V? Current wires in good looking condition with 24V will probably be ok.

40 year old wires running 12V which doubles your amps might not be all that good of an idea.

Now, running mil spec wire will cost you about $1.00/foot and $1.00/ connector. It will add up real fast when you consider 100 feet will almost get all your wires from the firewall to the tail lights plus the 7 connectors needed just for the tail light end of the wires. The front will take about as many feet and about 4 times the connectors.

Look on E-Bay for M35 front harness' that normally sell for around $100. They will have everything you need for the front. You will just need to provide the rear and blinker harness.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

ok cool. i think im running 12v... i think it might have been converted, im not sure. but it had one battery in it when i got it. and it would turn over the 6cyl. the lights didnt work though, but my switch was also broken.

i might see if i can find a local wiring guy to make a harness. im not running black out lights in the rear i switched out to ovel trailer lights.

Default Harness Makers

Vintage Wiring of Maine 207-465-3431 e-mail ffjeeps@roadrunner.com

ok thanks guys. im thinking about making a duplicat harness of what i have. the only thing that has me worried is that plug that goes on the back of the light switch..

Default Connectors

Quote Originally Posted by foodstamp View Post
    ok thanks guys. im thinking about making a duplicat harness of what i have. the only thing that has me worried is that plug that goes on the back of the light switch..
    That connector is not available as new from suppliers. There are several sources for used ones. The other ones are listed here;

Electrical Connector Reference