Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: heater question, what fits?

Default heater question, what fits?

I am looking into a heater in the M715, and wondering the options? I am assuming the stock heater boxes arent redily available? but maybe they are? if not what have you guys done to out heat in your trucks?

Thanks

Duane

i'm using a small hot water 2 speed heater from a small bus. 21000 btu and it keep the cab hot even in very cold weather ( -5 F ) above 30 mph , but just enough heat at highway speed ( 55 mph )
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Ford p-u heater everything fits inside of cab, and tucks up under the dash real nice. F-D, put it in, so that's all I know about it.

Full size jeep or wagoneer heater assemblies seem to fit the best.

I have an extra one out of a J truck-its the same as stock but vacuum type-easy to convert to cable. PM me if your interested.

You can get an entire heater kit from VPW that contains everything including the cables to operate it, the blower switch, clamps and complete instructions even...and its 24V. I bought one several years ago...it was $400 for the whole deal then...now, I dont know.

The heater from any Full Size Jeep, 1963 to 1991 will physically bolt in...in the late 60's the factory started using a vacuum diaphragm setup instead of the 3 cables the military and early civvy units use to operate the controls. The vacuum setup can be adapted with a little ingenuity...also the cable setup can be retrofitted in place of the vacuum system. These are 12 volt...24 volt trucks require some kind of converter to run one as the draw is more than can be tapped off one battery without stressing the battery and killing it in a year...been there, done that...

Jester Guest

Talked with a local jeep wrecking yard today and they can put together all the FSJ heater parts for $125. They have 6 or 7 Wagoneers and J-trucks to get them from.

I will prob go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Talked with a local jeep wrecking yard today and they can put together all the FSJ heater parts for $125. They have 6 or 7 Wagoneers and J-trucks to get them from.

I will prob go that route.

I would as well but just fyi the pul-apart in smokey point has 5 or so 74-80 full size wagoneers in the yard atm hoping one of the rear drive shafts I can use for a front ><

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Overfiend View Post
    I would as well but just fyi the pul-apart in smokey point has 5 or so 74-80 full size wagoneers in the yard atm hoping one of the rear drive shafts I can use for a front ><
    Ask them for a price on the whole heater assy.

Default My Heater

Don't know year, make, model but the heater in my truck has the Chrysler "STAR" on it with part number 3846553. There is another number on the housing, 05407, but I believe that is a mold number. It is a nice small unit, 3 speed fan and fits up under the dash. Since it is small and has the Chrysler symbol I believe it came from a later model Jeep Wrangler. I don't remember when Chrysler took over Jeep.