Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheels and Tires

Default Wheels and Tires

I want to change the wheel and tire set-up for mud runs. I'm gonna run 38 inch Thornbirds. Will they rub? I am also looking for some steel rims so I can get rid of the split rims. Not sure sho will have them.

Ok I was looking for the same thing and you can ryn 38" tires and a company called Marsh Racing has steel wheels with and witdth and backspacing

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Here's my thread on that subject:

Look what the UPS guy dropped off today
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

You may want to make sure you want Thornbirds for mud runs. You might be surprised what people say about them.

I agree with Kevin, . .I have not been impressed with the performance of Thornbirds on ANY surface. If it were me, I would recommend boggers or just regular TSL's. The Thornbirds don't clear the mud out well.

boggers are by far better for mud runs, Im running 38.5x11x16 boggers on my 725 and ended up winning class 6 and placed 3rd in class 5 just running 2nd gear low range and in about 2ft of mud which next time Im going to start off in 3rd and hold it to the floor.
    when I pulled it in the gate almost everyone thought it wouldnt do any good as it was so heavy but I ended up making believers out of all the nonbelievers.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

My father is going to run it on the road as well. Any suggestions on what would be good for both applications.

Depends on if you want a good mud tire which are not that good on the street or a good street tire that does not that good in the mud. If you can find a set of XL's at a reasonable price they work well on the street. For mud they are ok. If you want a mud tire that works well I would go with bogger's for mud runs and TSL's for general mud playing.
    Kevin
    68 M715 Modified

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

My TSL Swampers fit the bill for both occasional road runs, and trail use. They clear out pretty easily, get a good grip in the gooey stuff, and don't drive too bad on the asphalt.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I can't believe how well my XLs performed in the deep snow. I could barely make it up our road in my Silverado in 4WD, yet I did the same drive in the M715 in 2WD!

Can't speak to how they do in the mud. I don't do mud. But a few of the guys at the '06 National FE were running XLs and played in the mud. I thought the XL guys did just fine.
    -- Tim Taylor