Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much have you actually loaded in your M715?

Default How much have you actually loaded in your M715?

I know that the M715 is rated for 1-1/4 ton, which I believe is the military, cross-country rating, which is pretty conservative. But, as a practical matter, what is the most anyone has really put in their M715? It seems that the brush-truck M715's must carry quite a bit between brush bars, tanks and pumps. Just curious

A wet full sized round bale of hay is the most I have ever had in the bed of mine that might come close to the max load. However, add 3 more and a 2000 pound trailer to the back and I have had mine going down the road waaayyy over it rated capacity. Did fine with a stock engine. Better with the big block.

Oh, you will get some pictures and stories of guys with the bed full of gravel or dirt over 5000 pounds if they are awake and see this thread.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

3 yards of fresh from the ground wet granite...I was told it is 2850 lbs per yard.

Mine used to carry a 500 gallon tank when it was in the fire service. 500*8=4000 lbs of water, + the weight of the tank, a pump, couple hundred feet of canvas hose, 3 jerry cans, a gas can, shovels, picks, etc., and you're easily over 5000 lbs. This is one of the reasons the brass in the department wanted it out of service -- the stock brake system wasn't up to snuff for their liking and they were worried about it...

Mine had a 375 gallon water tank when it was at the fire dept. 375*8=3000 lbs, plus all the other stuff in the back, so probably 6/4 to 7/4 ton (keeping with the 5/4 ton theme).

I'll say as well that while it would move that much weight down the highway, the brakes where scary, it took a lot of effort and time to get that thing slowed down and stopped, lol.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Here is a picture of mine pretty well loaded at just under 10,000lbs gross with pump, tank, hose real, 260 gallons of water, and extras.

Copied from this thread:

Loaded '715 and towing the M101 as well

Quote Originally Posted by amphi View Post
    Here is a picture of mine pretty well loaded at just under 10,000lbs gross with pump, tank, hose real, 260 gallons of water, and extras.

Copied from this thread:

Loaded '715 and towing the M101 as well
    Hah! The springs aren't even flexed.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I feel kinda light now.......

I had two motorcycle lifts at 1600 lbs in mine, plus all the normal gear I usually carry in a full width bed toolbox which has to be around 500 lbs, and the truck didn't even squat.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I carried this around the farm one day. I never took it out on the road so I don't know how it would have been at speed.

I knew the first guy to answer this did'nt have a chance.