Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many cans?

Default How many cans?

I'm planning on just spray bombing my new M715 with Rapco 24087 spray cans. I used them some on the last one and liked the result, so I thought I'd just do the whole truck that way.

Question is, how many cans do you think it will take? I think they sell 12-can cases. I need to know how many to buy. Thanks!
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Well, to do both the interior and exterior, but not the inside of the engine compartment, it took 1-1/2 gallons through a spray gun. I think the rattle cans would require more. It's nothing more than my educated guess, but were I doing it, I'd buy two cases. $144, plus shipping, does sound a bit spendy, but compared to what even a cheap paint shop would charge, it's really not a bad way to go, IMHO. I'm painting my CJ with bomb cans....

That said, were this the CorvetteZone and we're talking about painting a '67 'Vette, my advice would be completely different!

But these are Army trucks, for Goodness sake!
    -- Tim Taylor

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

To do it inside and out, under the fender wells, under the hood and in the bed with a good coat, about 38-40 cans will do. Seriously.

I don't know if they still offer it, but Krylon was selling the Olive Green Camoflauge in quart cans for a while and they thin and spray pretty well too.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Chicklin, do they have Costco stores near you? Sam's Club may have them too. You can get a $100 paint sprayer set. The job would be at least as good as a rattle can job, I'm sure. But a whole lot easier on the index finger!
    -- Tim Taylor

I used the Krylon olive drab paint cans and used 8 cases of the paint. I painted everything including the frame with it and just have the interior to go. Each can only holds 11 OZ of paint and according to the can, it can cover 25 square feet of a flat surface. I put two coats on mine. Each can cost me about 4.00 so its not such a good idea except that it is easy to repair any scratches.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Heck Tim, a really cheap spray gun can be had at Harbor Freight for $19.99. That's providing you already have a compressor though.....
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Good point....
    -- Tim Taylor

Like Randy said; Everyone has cheap guns for sale (part stores, Lowes etc.). Rent a small compressor and buy some gallons. You can add some hardener to the enamel that way, so it will be more durable and chemical resistant. Save the spray cans for touch up. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Default Lot Numbers

I bought a case of spray cans in 24087 for painting misc. small items. There were different lot numbers on some of the cans. You may get a slight color varation. Even with gallons, make sure they have the same lot number.

Default mix the paint

If manufacturer sends paint cans with different batch numbers, then premix all the paint together before spraying for continuity of color. Left over paint will still be ready for any touch ups.