Thread: Fuel/Vaccum Pump Rebuild

Default Fuel/Vaccum Pump Rebuild

Sorry guys, I know I saw this a year ago but I can't find it in the archives. There is a company that sells kits for the military fuel pump and/or will repair it if you send it to them. I know Surplus City Jeep parts will rebuild them but there was another company mentioned some time ago that sells the parts and/or will rebuild. I think the name has "vintage" in it but searching does not show up.

I got mine from Midwest Military, but it was his last one. Perhaps you mean Vintage Power Wagons in Iowa.

The rebuild is fairly easy. Don't forget to prime the fuel lines before you bolt on the lines, it makes it alot easier to start it afterword.

Scott

search for "fuel pump rebuild"

http://www.then-now.com/

Default they have it

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post

That's where I got mine.

Rock auto has this...does it fit the military version?

1967 JEEP GLADIATOR 3.8L 230cid L6 : Fuel/Air : Fuel Pump
    AIRTEX Part # 4318 {Mechanical Fuel Pump}
    w/Vac. Wipers, Combination Fuel And Vacuum Pump $93.79

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

I dont think that is the right one...the listing shows 1967, the civvy 230 was made in 63-65. The FC series and some Checkers are list as also using the same one. I have seen the Mitchell interchange manual that lists the correct 230 fuel pump and the only cross reference it to the 230 fuel pump without the vacuum part with the note that if the vacuum wipers can be run by another vacuum source or swapped for electric wipers, then it will work...Basically it is saying nothing else uses the one for the 230.
    It does look similiar...

If you look up the 63-65 230 J stuff, they list the fuel only type pumps, no vacuum for wipers, under this number: 6510

Note the 67 one you listed also lists the 6510 as fitting...but if you look at the pics of each pump, the 4318 you asked about has a different pump activation arm from the 6510 and the 6510 looks A LOT like the stock 230 pumps where the 4318 doesnt.

I wouldnt be surprised if the 4318 fits the 232/258 engine...there have been many previous items found at parts stores, like Napa even, that show supposed 230 parts but are actually for the 232/258 AMC engines.

93 bucks seems awfully high. Methinks I paid 45 dollars for mine two months ago. It was NOS, so I was worried about aging of the diaphram, but it looked good and it still works. Memphis must have them, too.

Scott

Default Thats It!

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post

I had it wrong when I thought "vintage" was in the name. Sorry. I have a pump that I got from Randy and need to rebuild it. I kept putting it off. My existing pump works on the fuel side but not the vacuum side. My truck also has an electric pump, put in by the PO for some reason, back at the tank. I added a switch for that during the restoration so the electric one is still there, just not running. It did come in handy when I put the fuel tank back in as the regular pump would not draw the fuel with the line partially empty. The boost pump filled it right up.

Try this link for a detailed description of my project.

Fuel pump rebuild