Thread: 727 4x4 tranny

Default 727 4x4 tranny

I am in the process of transplanting a 440 chrysler engine and a 727 tranny into my m715. I have totally rebuilt the motor and starting to work on the tranny. The problem is i have a 2wd tranny, i need to make it into a 4wd tranny by replacing the tailshaft and housing with a shorter one which would be on a pre 74 4x4 dodge pickup or maybe motorhome. The main problem is i cant find a 4x4 tranny to buy or get parts out of and i was wondering if any of you would know of one?(It is a 3 speed auto)

Gonna be a bi of a bear to find maybe....you should be able to go up to 77 as the 440 was built that late...78 for the 400...should be the same pattern on the font and th same trans internals.

The newer 518/618 trans units, the OD models, are 727's with the OD unit and then the tail shaft...I wonder if the tailshaft off of one of those would work...though none are big block pattens on the bellhousing end...there are alot of them around...

You should be able to go at least as late as 77. I had a 77 pickup with the 440, 727, and a 203 transfer case, although a lot less common, they also used the 440/727 combination in some ramchargers. That was a great combination for everything except the gas station, . .lol. . .I had the engine custom built, so lots of grunt, . .edelbrock intake, custom-built 835 CFM quadra-jet, water injection. . . there is a trick to heavy pulling with a 727 that a lot of people don't know about, but can save your transmission. If you are going to pull something really heavy, unsticking somebody for example, . .pull the shift selector all the way to 1st gear. The 727 uses 2 different modes for 1st gear. If the selector is in drive, it uses the over-running clutch in the back of the case. If it is in 1st gear, it locks the clutch packs. If you put too much load on that rear clutch, you can break the case. Fortunately I learned this little tidbit from my uncle's experience rather than on my own, . ..

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Some Ramchargers and Traildusters had 400's and 440's, so that'd be the vehicle to start looking for....
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

That or the pickups of the era...

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    That or the pickups of the era...
    True. The pickups also used the same platform.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Look at old motorhomes with 413s or 440s. These usually have a 727 LoadFlite transmission with a short tailpiece and a brake housing for the parking brake.

Don

Another sorce might be 80-86 full sized Jeep. They used a 727,but you would only be able to use the tail shaft and the tail houseing.Because the trany will only bolt up to an AMC motor.

Good point...I had forgotten those.

You might find a machine shop to make a spacer that would convert your stickout to the proper length to whatever T case you're using. It wouldn't be too complicated unless there is an issue with sealing the tranny fluid from the T case. Just a random thought from left field...