Thread: Power steering box tightening?

Default Power steering box tightening?

I am going to try and re align my steering from toe in set at 3/16's to toe in set at 1/16 or zero. I've been told radial tires steer better the closer to zero you can get them. Either that or tighten my steering box a touch. It steers good, but I am hoping with a few minor adjustments I can have it steer great. How much if any can or should I tighten the power steering box? I was thinking maybe a quarter turn? What do you all think? I've also been told this will kill my power steering box? I've done is successfully on manual boxes with no long term effects. Thanks

I always adjust the box at full lock. That's the area that's less worn - If you adjust it in the center, it will bind at full lock. After adjusting, make sure you turn the wheel with the front axle in the air, and carefully check for any binding.

Thank you Mikel, you have done this before? On a power steering box with success. I'll give it a try tomorrow. The buick 350 is running wonderful. Going to check the plug color later today. I just came home and washed all the mud and leaves off, it was dirty.

There is a process for adjusting a saginaw steering box. You need to disconnect the linkage put a spring tension gauge on the pitman arm and adjust the tension, and the tension varies between boxes. One thing that you find though, as pointed out, . .if there is wear, this can cause problems. I would lift the front end up on stands, with the engine running, tighten it a little at a time, while working the steering lock to lock to make sure it doesn't bind. Once you get it where you think you want it, . .take it for a test drive. It doesn't take a whole lot of adjustment on the box to make a huge difference in how it drives. As long as you don't get it too tight, it is actually better for it to be tensioned properly that to be loose.. . . .both from a safety/driveability standpoint, and for the life of the steering box.