Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foriegn object now in gas tank... *grrr*

Default Foriegn object now in gas tank... *grrr*

So, last night I was adding some Stabil to all the gas that won't be likely to be used until spring. While adding some to the 715, I lost my grip on the cap to the Stabil bottle, and wouldn't you know it went right into the gas tank....

Any interesting ideas on retrieval, or just let sleeping dogs lie? If there is a fuel strainer on the pickup tube I should be okay. If not, I suppose I could have a blockage from time to time if I can't figure out a way to get it.

Suggestions?
    Zach

Jester Guest

If you drop the tank - which is a pain - the filler opening is huge. You can easily fish out the cap.

I would prob leave it and see if it even causes a problem.

BTW - my filler neck has a removeable screen in it. Does yours not have that?

Stock tank?

Take the filler hose off the tank and try a flexi magnet...if it is magnetic...

You can use a magnet on the outside of the tank to move it around to where you can reach...then get your magnet from the filler neck port on it, then take off the one on the outside of the tank.

Or....drop the tank and work through the sending unit hole...you can see pretty good through there...more work though...

Yeah, the brass strainer cone is a good thing...

The brass strainer is the same as for the M38A1. Easy to find. Every tank should have one to keep crap from falling.

Absolutely!!!!!!

Plastic cap. No magnets for me.
    I'll try and fish it out in the spring when I replace the filler neck. Or not, depending.

When I paint I am going to have to remove the bed, so I suppose at that time I'd be removeing the tank as well. God knows what is actually sloshing around in there.

Zach

I found the round little piece they cut out of the tank to put in the suction tube in the bottom of mine....

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Given the size of the cap it probably won't give you any problems. If there is a screen left on the pickup then it most certainly won't. If its gone, it'd be a one in a million shot that it would get sucked up onto the pickup.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

It should float and so want to stay away from the pickup...if it "swims" through the corner cuts in the baffle to the other side, then it might just stay out of the way....

If you really want to try something, empty the tank and position the truck passenger side up with either the front or the rear high...so either the passenger front or rear corner is the top of the tank...might jack it into this position.

Then slowly fill the tank.

The cap should float on top of the gas and might justpass through the center baffle to the other side where it cant get back unless the tank is real low or super full...then dont let the tank get super low and dont fill it to the brim and it cant get to the suction point.

Extreme? Very...

The plastic shouldnt melt in gas since it held Stabil before...right? That could be messy...