Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aircraft stripper

Question aircraft stripper

Has anyone used aircraft stripper on there m715? mine is suffering from a bad and cheep spray paint job and i want to repaint it. iv been told not to sand blast it do to the lead paint. what would you guys do. Every thing must be done outdoors

WEAR EYE PROTECTION

I have used it, and it is not as easy as one would think it should be.
    Each application of stripper will only remove 1 layer of paint. if you don't let it sit long enough, the paint won't slough off. if you let it sit too long, the paint re-hardens.

Slather the stuff on, and cover it with plastic to keep it from drying out. Make youself do somehting else while it works. WEAR EYE PROTECTION.

Also, no mater how tempting it is, don't use a rotary tool (wire whell or knotted cup or stripper disk) to remove the traces of paint left behind, unless days have passed. You will get stripper splattered in your face, and it will burn like a mother. Oh, and WEAR EYE PROTECTION.

Personaly, if you are doing the whole truck, take it and have it soda blasted. It costs, but the savings in time more then offsets the $ value.
    Zach

First thing I thought when I saw the topic was how much it hurts when you get it in your eyes. Zach, it sounds like you have the Tee shirt also.

The worst part about it is the very final clean up. Getting all the nooks and cranny's cleaned out to remove junk that will show when painted and rinsing it more than you think you should.

I'll have to try the plastic thing.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    First thing I thought when I saw the topic was how much it hurts when you get it in your eyes. Zach, it sounds like you have the Tee shirt also.

The worst part about it is the very final clean up. Getting all the nooks and cranny's cleaned out to remove junk that will show when painted and rinsing it more than you think you should.

I'll have to try the plastic thing.
    I was wearing plastic safety glasses. A little somehow splattered my eye from under the glasses at a steep angle. Lesson learned: wear safety goggles.

The rotary tool bit... man, I was sure I had gotten all the stripper off. After about 1 minute of work removing the paint remnants, my cheeks were burning. I finished that job the next weekend.

The plastic works really well. It gives you another 15 minutes or so of working time before things start to re-harden. I have heard the ambient temps make a big difference, and some folks have gotten more time. But my working time for the stripper went from 15 minutes to 30 minutes when I used plastic.

Zach

Forget aircraft stripper on the M715. I used it on mine and it will take you forever and you'll go through $200 worth+ gallons of the stuff and you'll make a complete mess. The stripper didn't want to take off the fire department red and factory od. Keep in mind, I have successfully used stripper on passenger cars and that works fine.

I paid $1,000 and had a local sandblasting guy do everything on my truck including the rims and small parts - I took him the bed and cab in the back of my flatbed - he did every nook and cranny even underneath the bed/cab. Sounds like alot, but he had it done in a matter of a few days and the metal was like new and provided a great base to prime. When I finish my truck, it'll look like new. The results you'll achieve through sandblasting cannot compare to using stripper.

I would recommend sandblatsing...and other will chime in about the cons to it but the guy who did mine was a professional who knew to use lower pressure when doing the thinner metal items. You have to be careful about the hood and doors and inner door panels. Other than these items, sandblast away.

I acid dipped my windshield frame, came out like new, every inch. I thought about doing my cab and front clip.

im not to concered with getting the OD off. The fire dept used vary cheep white spray paint and it flacking off every where

Default Plastic media

We did plastic media as it won't heat or "open" the steel. Total for all the removed parts and truck body was in the $700 range. See my earlier post about the lessons learned though! If you sand, soda or media blast, the stuff keeps coming out. Difficult to get it all cleaned up. I tried a small patch of the aircraft stripper and with 5 layers of paint, a mess!

I used some aircraft stripper today on the dash and it seem's to work ok if you useALOTof it. I dont have much money to spend on my jeep right now. my buddy is going to paint the jeep for free, i just have to buy the primer and paint. what would be the cheepest way to go?

Cheapest?
    Rustoleum.
    If you have a day free, read this thread (tremclad is rustoleum)
    http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Otherwise: epoxy sealer, build primer, and whatever paint you want to use. expect to spend real money for the paint and primers, though.
    Zach