Thread: Axle Shafts

Default Axle Shafts

Anyone do an upgrade to the stock axle shafts and ujoints??? Chromo or other. Most of the replacement shafts that are available are still based on the metalurgy technology of that time. Any comments welcome.

Well...there is this:
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=35_spline

That gives the ultimate upgrade for these axles...you can use the best quality ones and all and have much added strength.

Jester Guest

Has anyone ever tried to upgrade the rears? Pinion offset would be an issue right?

I dont know of anyone offhand....

I think once you get so far into these kind of upgrades, from a planning/materials/labor/benefit position, it is usually cheaper to upgrade to modern axles...and get a modern bolt pattern in the process....not to dissuade someone from wanting to have the stock axle housings with updated internals...just an fyi.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    I dont know of anyone offhand....

I think once you get so far into these kind of upgrades, from a planning/materials/labor/benefit position, it is usually cheaper to upgrade to modern axles...and get a modern bolt pattern in the process....not to dissuade someone from wanting to have the stock axle housings with updated internals...just an fyi.

Ah the debate for the ages.

I've broken the rear yoke, and u-joints, but never a rear axle shaft...yet. Yoke and U-joints would be the are I concern myself with for upgrades...then see if you start breaking shafts.

The front is a different story though, could certainly use some added strength in the shafts. Inners like to twist/shear off roughly an 1-1/2" piece, right next to where it slides into the spider, or locker. Fun to fish out with a magnet. Outters are equally willing to break too if you abuse the truck. Can wipe out the shaft bushings in the knuckle when they go. I made a tool to remove and install the bushing on the trail, spare shaft won't do you much good if you don't have the spare bushing and a way to remove the mangled old one.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I've broken the rear yoke, and u-joints, but never a rear axle shaft...yet. Yoke and U-joints would be the are I concern myself with for upgrades...then see if you start breaking shafts.
    So can the yoke on the rear be upgraded to a 1410? I have seen 1410 yokes for the NP205 so I imagine we could use those.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    The front is a different story though, could certainly use some added strength in the shafts. Inners like to twist/shear off roughly an 1-1/2" piece, right next to where it slides into the spider, or locker. Fun to fish out with a magnet. Outters are equally willing to break too if you abuse the truck. Can wipe out the shaft bushings in the knuckle when they go. I made a tool to remove and install the bushing on the trail, spare shaft won't do you much good if you don't have the spare bushing and a way to remove the mangled old one.
    Since you obviously "use" your rig, why have you not changed to diff axles? Curious about arguments on both sides of this. Don't want to hijack but I have a 14B sitting in the shop waiting for discs and locker. Have not completely decided on going that route.

Why have I not changed? Mixture of the popular reasons...time, money, and motivation.

The truck is far from perfect, but lately I've began to think it's about as capable as I care to make it. It would be a better truck with the upgrades, but I just think I may be happier with it as it is, and also having something else that is lighter with more horsepower and better articulation. Have a CUCV 60/14 set, but more tempted to put them under a scratch built rig.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.