Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailgates? any source?

Default Tailgates? any source?

I am looking for a tailgate, anyone have a source? I had found one on the board a couple months back but he decided not to sell it. It would be nice to find one in the NJ area, so I could pick it up. but do not expect to get that lucky.

Duane

Default Gilbert Seller

There was a NJ guy at the Gilbert show last month that had body parts including a bed. Maybe he has a tailgate. PM me and I'll give you his phone number.

Unfortunately, these are one of the hardest parts to get....

VPW has (maybe had now) the pieces to weld together to make a tailgate...but it was WITHOUT the Jeep scroll on it...others have made a similiar thing but cant use the Jeep script due to copyright issues...

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I don't know offhand, but was the Gladiator or later J series pickup tailgate lettering proportionate in size to the M715?

If so, a good donor might be removed from an otherwise banged up or rusted tailgate then massaged into one of the replicas. Just a thought.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

No...the only thing that is close...some say is a match but I cant verify that...is the lettering on the Postal Jeeps tailgate.

Obviously the script is the same on all Jeeps of the era, but the size definitely seems to be huge on the 715's.

You know I never really paid any attention and this got me thinking of it. What does the 725 have on the rear if anything at all?

Nothing really that says Jeep.

as much as I would love to have jeep on the tailgate, a repro wouldnt bother me as an alternative.

If you can find a sheet metal shop nearby with a large enough brake, the parts are all square and bent metal. It shouldn't be too hard to have the parts made, then assemble them yourself, if you are competent with a welder.

I'm in the process of replacing the flanged C channel pieces on my tailgate. Some idiot backed into something with the tailgate all of the way down.

Making a tail gate is very doable. A local shop bent some 11ga. replacements for me. Get a hinge set from VPW.