Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Front and rear lockers

Default Front and rear lockers

What is everyone running in their front? and rear axle? I think I have both power locks for the front and rear of my truck. I am not wanting to spend any money right now for installation. I was thinking about possibly selling the rear power lock and giving the front power lock back to the person who gave it to me. Instead I was thinking about buying the Detroit for just the rear and installing myself. I think I will be money ahead that way. I just don't think I'll need an added power aid in the front. Recommendations? Thanks everyone.

I changed from a power lock to a Detroit in my 715 for the rear axle. The Power lock went into the 725. I haven't dont a lot of off road with it, but I can say that it definately locked up when I wanted/needed it to. I've only done very little on highway driving with the Detroit so I can't say how it handles on the pavement.

My personal opinion for the front would be to spend the money and get a selectable locker. Either that or leave the power lock in the front. I'm not sure if I would go with a locker like the Loc rite (basically a Detroit locker) for the front unless I was doing purely hardcore off road stuff. The idea of wanting/needing to turn and having the front locker lock up doesn't sit too well with me. Just my opinion.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I can tell you my experience with a few lockers.

If I were just doing occasional off-road stuff, a lunchbox locker in the rear only would be my personal choice. It all depends on the terrain too. Lockers are wonderful in rocks and technical stuff, but limited in snow and mud.

I've used spools and ratchet type lockers, and even welded a few diffs and they all have their place, but realistically, for something being driven on blacktop a lot, to me nothing beats a locker that allows some slippage around corners. Especially so in snow or in the wet. A good locker will make a huge difference in where you can go, particularly in an inflexible frame vehicle like the 715. I can be stopped by even the slightest lift of one rear wheel in my stock diffs. I have tried limited slips, but they aren't the same, and still tend to act like an open diff in some situations.

Unless I plan on doing almost exclusively off-roading, I wouldn't use a front locker on the street, but that is just my opinion. Disconnecting hubs are a must with a front locker. That said, if you do a lot of off-road driving, there's nothing like being able to get a leg-up with a locked front end over a ledge or big rock.

Again not the gospel, just my .02
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

So Randy, by lunch box locker you mean the Detroit Locker, in the rear only?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    So Randy, by lunch box locker you mean the Detroit Locker, in the rear only?
    Yep, that's the idea.....Lunchbox lockers are the type that use your carrier and fit in place of the spider gears.....
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Thanks, that's the direction I'm heading. I'm pretty sure I can do the install myself with the Detroit. The power locks seem much more involved, and I have no experience setting up gears. Not to mention all the work to break down the front axle to do the power lock install as well.

Jester Guest

Wish there was a limited slip that could be manually fully locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Wish there was a limited slip that could be manually fully locked.
    that would defeat the purpose of the limited slip part of it. if you need the choice of having it fully locked then an ARB is the way to go. limited slips are nice for some things, but if you feel like you will need a full locker you may as well decide if you want the choice of open or locked, or if you can live with locked all the time

I personally have a truck with a powrloc in the front. i thought it was a nice middle of the road. the rear end was full locked. with the powrloc you can feel that it is in there if you leave the hubs locked and the truck in 4x2. it was almost a benifit though as steering was still fine, but the truck wanted to return to center better. in a snow cornfield or something like that, it was great. all 4 turned most of the time. in deep or thick gooey mud, it would just spin one, but you could see it trying.
    ryan

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
    that would defeat the purpose of the limited slip part of it. if you need the choice of having it fully locked then an ARB is the way to go. limited slips are nice for some things, but if you feel like you will need a full locker you may as well decide if you want the choice of open or locked, or if you can live with locked all the time
    For the rear axle, a limited slip would be much better for snow, ice and daily driving. Where a full lock would be better for rocks and mud. I want both options. Don't think there is an ARB/OX option for the D70.

Given what is avail, I would rather have the Detroit in the rear than a limited slip. Power loc in the front sounds like a good compromise.

the ARB is available for the d70. not sure if it can be made to work in a 715 though. for me personally, i would rather have it be completely open in snow and ice, until i felt i needed it locked. the limited slip has been just enough to cause a slide out but not enough to get me out of nasty spots before. IMO for driving on the street in snow and ice open is the best.