Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gasket or no gasket?

Jester Guest

Default Gasket or no gasket?

Pulled the cover off the rear diff to change the fluids. Is using a gasket on the cover recommended or just seal it back up with permatex?

It all depends on who is going to be replacing that fluid next time

Jester Guest

um that would be me.

Thinking about an aftermarket cover with a drain plug to make changes quicker/easier.

I just changed the oil in my front diff and only pulled the cover because it was leaking. There is already drain plug in the bottom of the housing (unless you have a non-stock set-up.) I ran out of oil, so I didn't do the rear, but I think there's a plug back there too. I used permatex on the front cover.
    Last edited by Pineyguy; September 29th, 2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Bottom of housing, not cover clarification

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pineyguy View Post
    I just changed the oil in my front diff and only pulled the cover because it was leaking. There is already drain plug in the bottom of the housing (unless you have a non-stock set-up.) I ran out of oil, so I didn't do the rear, but I think there's a plug back there too. I used permatex on the front cover.
    Dont' think the stock D60 or D70 had drains in the cover. I don't in the rear. Could not say 100% for the front but don't think there is one their either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Dont' think the stock D60 or D70 had drains in the cover. I don't in the rear. Could not say 100% for the front but don't think there is one their either.
    Not on the cover, on the very bottom of the housing. I used the end of a 1/2" drive ratchet, but a piece of square stock and an adjustable will work. It's a lot less messy than pulling the cover.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pineyguy View Post
    Not on the cover, on the very bottom of the housing. I used the end of a 1/2" drive ratchet, but a piece of square stock and an adjustable will work. It's a lot less messy than pulling the cover.
    gotcha. Gonna permatex it on for now. Had to take it off anyway cause it was leaking.

I used to be cautious about using permatex or any kind of gasket sealer only as the sealing agent, but now I do it on almost everything and don't get leaks at all. Put it on, let it set up a bit, then bolt the parts together.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

If you're going to use it, use the minimum amount to get the job done.

When it squeezes out and falls off on the inside it blocks oil passages, filters, screens and so on. The pinion bearing on the axles relys on fluid being thrown into a passage and then gravity drains to the bearing and back to the pan. Doesn't take much to slow down a non pressure system like that. Same goes for blocking return oil passages in the cylinder heads and such.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'm with Doug......Remember, however much you see squeeze out is also what is going inside the component as well.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™