Thread: Need input, CUCV axle question

Default Need input, CUCV axle question

Looking at possibly buying an 86 CUCV truck, 6.2, th400 trans, np205 case,14 bolt rear 410 gears (owner says PO switched the gears), and a Dana 44 front... must be another PO swap out, for the gearing I guess.

If the front is a Dana 44, would it work for a swap out into my M715?
    My end game would be to pull the entire drive-train out and put it in my 715 .

Any other concerns I am missing?
    The guy is asking $1500 obo.
    Claims it runs strong, is registered, etc.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

The Dana 44 will fit in the same place as the 60, . .not as strong, but close to the same strength as the stock M715 front axle because it has the same u-joints because the closed knuckle on the M715 necessitates the smaller u-joint. It would not be as good as the original CUCV 60, . . .for 1500 it sounds like a good deal, . .and then maybe down the road find a 60 front for it. . .

Thanks Moose, I appreciate the insight.
    Any others have 2 cents....

Thanks,
    Jeff

Yeah for the price it is not too bad. TH400-205's are going for 600-1000 where i am from. 1,000 is extreme, but people pay it. You will save alot of money if you keep the 4:10's in it. All in all for a drivetrain set-up, that is super cheap.

Keep the 4.10's, the stock CUCV came with 4.56's.

I was under the impression that the CUCV's came with a Dana 60 in front to match the strengh of the 14-bolt in the back.
    Maybe the previous owners swaped out the axels with civilian truck, because all 4x4's had a Dana 44 in the front, and the 1-ton trucks came with 14-bolts in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by kndllmtt View Post
    Keep the 4.10's, the stock CUCV came with 4.56's.

I was under the impression that the CUCV's came with a Dana 60 in front to match the strengh of the 14-bolt in the back.
    Maybe the previous owners swaped out the axels with civilian truck, because all 4x4's had a Dana 44 in the front, and the 1-ton trucks came with 14-bolts in the rear.

I think they came with 60's too. Thanks for the input guy's. I will going to look at it later this week.

Jeff

The Dana 60 front was available in the Civvy model trucks, but only in the 1-ton. All of the CUCV pickups had the 60 in the front, so if that is a 44, . it has been changed. The reason for the change may have been the issue of getting 4:10 gears for the 60 front, I don't know what the breakout is as far as needing to change carriers to change the gear ratio, . . .

Quote Originally Posted by moosejr View Post
    The Dana 60 front was available in the Civvy model trucks, but only in the 1-ton. All of the CUCV pickups had the 60 in the front, so if that is a 44, . it has been changed. The reason for the change may have been the issue of getting 4:10 gears for the 60 front, I don't know what the breakout is as far as needing to change carriers to change the gear ratio, . . .
    That's kinda what I was thinking. If you think it is going to be "strong enough" then I am comfortable with it. I don't plan on rock crawling or hard core boonie crashing.

Okay get this...

I was doing some research on the web and I figured out that the M1009 CUCV's (Blazers) did come with the 10-bolt in the back and a Dana 44 in the front. What I was thinking of was the M1008 CUCV's (pick-ups) that had the Dana 60 in front and the 14-bolt in the rear.

Both trucks came with 4.56 gears, so the previous owners must have switched out the gears, or the entire axels.

This probobly raises more questons than it solves, but at least the truth is out.

Quote Originally Posted by kndllmtt View Post
    Okay get this...

I was doing some research on the web and I figured out that the M1009 CUCV's (Blazers) did come with the 10-bolt in the back and a Dana 44 in the front. What I was thinking of was the M1008 CUCV's (pick-ups) that had the Dana 60 in front and the 14-bolt in the rear.

Both trucks came with 4.56 gears, so the previous owners must have switched out the gears, or the entire axels.

This probobly raises more questons than it solves, but at least the truth is out.
    This is the truck (M1008), but I will be looking at the rear to make sure it is the 14bolt.
    Thanks,
    Jeff