Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eng,

Default Eng,

I have a line on a 401, can you get a bellhousing to the t98 for this eng? how hard are the motor mounts to fab? Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you get a manual trans bellhousing from a Jeep 360, 304, 401 I think you'll have it. I believe the t-18 trans that came behind the AMC motors has the same bolt pattern as our t-98. Then take the input shaft carrier bearing from the t-18 and install it into your t-98. That should do it. Motor mounts can be had from the donor vehicle and bolted/welded into the M truck. I'd get the 401, bellhousing, t-18 and motor mounts from the donor vehicle if you can. You might have fun sourcing the parts if you can't get them from a donor vehicle. Do you know what the 401 came out of?

75 wagon. auto, t/c???? All I want is the eng.

All the T18's I have seen have the drivers side bolts spread frther than the T98 does.

There are quite a few different t-18's out there. I think, but not sure the jeep t-18 were the same bolt pattern as our t-98. I used a buick bellhousing that came stock with a Jeep t-18, same bolt pattern as our t-98. Just put the input shaft and carrier bearing from the t-18 into my t-98 and voila. The trans is in the stock location.

Better than I knew...good deal...I can update that now...THANKS!!

There are a lot of different lenth input shafts for the T18 also to watch out for. I know the ones from the FSJ trucks have a long input shaft while the CJ type is very short. It is generally considered easier to adapt a ford T18 into any vehicle than mess with the Jeep stuff. Although if you are using a Jeep engine obviously the Jeep trans would be the one to get. I just put a Ford T18 behind the 351C in my M715

I have a 79 cherokee chief with the 360 in it that I am parting out, . .could pull the motor mounts for the cost of shipping, . ..

I'm thinking the t-18 input shaft is going to be hard to find. Buick bellhousing just about the same.

You won't need a buick bellhousing, a 401 engine is an AMC motors engine. You will need an AMC bellhousing from a manual transmission truck. If you want to keep a manual you will have to source the trans or at least the long shaft input and carrier bearing from the trans.