Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dot5 vs Dot3

Default Dot5 vs Dot3

While checking out the dueces today I had a question that I didn't know the answer to.

How do you tell in you have dot5 or dot3 in the brake system? The color of the fluid was clear amber.

Can you tell by the feel or smell? Luckily the m/c's where full.

Oh ... check out the recovery in the Other MVs section

WartHog
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

my experience w dot 5 is it has a slight puple when new in the container. Once used i couldnt say, however u cant mix them so if u dont know u may have to fluch the lines an start over.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

I don't believe the military uses dot3. It would cause too much confusion not mentioning inventory problems keeping up with too imcompatible brake fluids.

Your deuce will have dot5. There was a guy on SS that sells it in gallon cans. Lot's cheaper than the local auto parts store.

The army has been using DOT5 since the mid 1980s so no problem there....if your just getting the truck from GL then it will have DOT5. You can mix the two, but it isn't recommended.
    Zone holster maker

Either way, it is probably a really good idea to do a full flush anyhow. Choose a fresh brake fluid of a different color from what is currently in use to make sure you flush all the old stuff out.

Zach

DOT 5 repels water. Use your fancy bleeder hose and pull some out of the system. Put it in a clear jar and add some water. Mix it up and let it sit for an hour. It should seperate out.

I agree with Kwai though. It will be or at least should be DOT 5.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    DOT 5 repels water. Use your fancy bleeder hose and pull some out of the system. Put it in a clear jar and add some water. Mix it up and let it sit for an hour. It should seperate out.

I agree with Kwai though. It will be or at least should be DOT 5.
    I am planning on doing that. Didn't have time yesterday. They where rushing me to get out of the GL lot.

What Barrman, no comment on the Recovery yesterday? Your slipping man.....
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

I did comment, I really did. Let me go to that thread and look to make sure I actually hit submit though.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

From what I have heard and read, when you change from DOT 3 to DOT 5 you need to change all the rubber parts in the system. I don't know if it is true but I did rebuild everything when I switched back. I am the secong civi owner and it was changed by the previous owner. DOT 5 won't absorb moisture either. FWIW.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

I have heard it both ways now on the rubber...not sure what the truth is...