Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why would Jeep Do This?

Default Why would Jeep Do This?

I started to re-assemble the doors after painting. Long time ago, I bought new window sweeps, for the crank-up windows, from VPW as the originals were basically gone. What a surprise when I discovered the inner sweeps are identical for both passenger and driver doors but the outers are different! The only difference in the two outers is that two of the four slots punched in the driver door frame are slightly different for the center two slots. The outer slots and the sweep length are identical! I thought something was wrong with my door but got out the '34P and sure enough, different part numbers for the outer sweeps, same part number for the inners. No rhyme or reason for this I can see. Now I find out that only passenger side outer sweeps are available. You are to drill new slots or modify the sweep to fit! Anyone else ever see this? Not sure I can slot the door now, it's painted and don't want to mess it up, so I guess I must try to move the clips on the sweep!

Yes they are different! Correct outer sweeps are rubber so they wipe the glass as it goes up an down and seals (some) water from going into the door, the correct inner sweeps are the 'cat wiskers' fuzzy type material. Long ago the company (who vpw bought out) had the correct inner and outer ones, however it seems now they only have one or the other but sell tham as the same even though they arent.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Will the inners work on the outside as far as keeping water out?? I don't mind modifying them as long as they seal ok...

I used the fuzzys both inside and out, that's what I found in town. Seems to work OK. Just make sure the drain holes in bottom of door are open. Also, the set I got had no mounting clips, I used 3M emblem adhesive tape to install them. It's a thick double sided tape and holds tight. Been on for 3 years now and used through all four seasons, still tight.

No the fuzzys dont have any sealing ability, you may find some of the rubber type at restoration specialties supply co
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The fuzzy stips are just an anti-rattle strip really and won't seal against water coming from outside.

Check with Steele Rubber Products:

www.steelerubber.com

They do mostly GM restoration stuff, but they have a lot of good online lookup and can genereally supply something very close to the original you need.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Default I have two sets

I have two sets of inners and outers, just need to modify one outer to fit the driver door slots. I need to bend up the tabs on the clips and remove them, drill small holes at the proper clip location and insert the clips in the new holes. I just hope the clip tabs don't break off when bending them. If they do, I'll use some kind of adhesive for the center as the outer slots line up. It still begs the question of why they decided to put two of the slots in different locations on the driver's door. If the inners are the same door to door, why not the outers? Probably some misread requirement in the original contract!!

That may have something to do w/ the civ. application? The parts tm does list the outers as left an right, inners as same.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

I do believe the civilian sweeps are the same as ours. Check with Bj's offroad, he is a member here and I believe he had some.

Default Poor Fit

Put the new inners and outers in. Should they be shortened to the glass width only? The new ones are stiff and do not allow the window to fully retract. In other words, the top of the glass frame sticks out above the door sill because the outer rubber hits the top of the glass frame and prevents retraction. Looks like they are worthless in preventing water entry, just rattle prevention.