Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shock Absorbers

Default Shock Absorbers

Anyone have a good part# recommendation for shocks or will the standard J-truck equivalent work o.k?

If I recall correctly, and I am sure somebody can chime in here with further knowledge, but I believe what you want is J-truck with 4 inch lift application. This compensates for the increased ride height. The best thing to do is measure a stock shock fully extended and then fully compressed, and then have the parts guy verify length of travel, . then of course you mounting ends have to match. . . .

Well I am in the same situation. AB Linn has long since run out of front shocks. So Brute provided me with two numbers for fronts. I then called NAPA and the guy there gave me specs on both compressed and extended lengths for each shock. I then took off my fronts and measured both the compressed and extended lengths and then chose the one closest to my stockers measurements.
    Problem is, I have all that information at the shop...I'll have to post the numbers when i get to the shop!

I'll appreciate those front numbers when you get a chance to post them.

memphis has rear ones at least, they r on ebay alot
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S...991_0117622783

Part: NS 76991

This is what I installed on the front of my stock M715. Matched up based on compressed and extended lengths and style of mounting. The OEM shock is not gas filled, whereas these replacements are.

Robert-CA
    Last edited by hiker; August 23rd, 2008 at 10:18 PM.

I see that the above link expired, Sorry. Here's the info below. The OEM shock extended length is 21-1/2 inches and the replacement is 21 inches. That may matter to you. Robert-CA

NAPA PartsPRO SE CATALOG
    Search Results For : NS 76991 Search Within These Results For :

Shock - Gas Grande Fleet - Front

Front
    Part: NS 76991
    Product Line: NAPA Shocks

Price : 41.39

Qty

Features & Benefits
    The Gas Grande Truck Shock Absorber Is Designed For Mid To Full Size, Hard Working Pick-Up Trucks & Vans. These Units Provide Firm Control w/o A Harsh Ride. w/ Up To Twice The Fluid Capacity Of Standard 1" Bore Shocks, Gas Grande Truck Shocks Work More Efficiently w/ Less Effort.
    Attributes
    Lower Mount : Loop Type 5/8" x 1 5/16"
    Shock Compressed Length : 13.25"
    Shock Extended Length : 21"
    Upper Mount : Loop Type 5/8" x 1 5/16"
    Shock Dust Shield : Yes
    Shock Parts Pack Part # : P573
    Shock Travel Length : 7.75"

Warranty
    Limited Lifetime

Well the two numbers I have from NAPA:

94080 - Compressed 13.3"
    Extended 23.1"

94009 - Compressed 12.8"
    Extended 21.3"

I was going to go with the 94080 that allows for almost 2" more extended length and was closest to a stock shock. I have the stock shocks at my shop and I don't remember offhand the compressed and extended measurements, but I did write "order 94080's" on my paperwork...

When I get a moment this week, I plan on measuring the stock shocks once again and comparing them to the Napa shock number provided by Hiker...

Is anyone using those Rancho 9000 shocks that have like 9 settings of adjustment on them? They sell a system to control them in the cab too if you wanta get fancy. Any feed back? Are the different settings even that noticable with such large leaf stacks?

Also I remember from a few years back people talking about putting Ford Truck front upper shock mounts to get more shock length and I belive its pretty much a direct bolt up and you can order them from a Ford Dealership.

-Scott

I have Rancho 5000's on my dodge 1-ton diesel 4x4, they made a huge difference compared to the stock shocks. As far as the 9000's I don't know a lot about how much effect the adjustment make, but I do know of several people who cussed the remote control system when the control hose got ripped off the shock and they had to replace the entire shock, .. kind of vulnerable off-road. . .FWIW