Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Whine

Default Transmission Whine

My truck seems to "sound better" when I am going about 25 to 30mph. Even in 4th gear it seems like I need another gear. If I push it to 55 or God forbid 60 it whines really loud. Any Ideas?
    "If you can't Dodge it Ram it"

The gearing in these trucks is so steep that it does seem to need a new gear to shift into around 45 or so. The speedometer ends at 60 MPH for this reason.

Are you sure its the transmission whining and not the transfer case? The t-case in stock form whines loudly the faster one goes. Many wear ear plugs due to this OR you can swap the rear driveshaft from the passenger side location to the drivers side one on the rear. This will ELIMINATE the whine as it is all the extra gears involved in getting the power across the inside of the tcase that causes the noise.

If you do want to swap the diveshaft to the other side, you can get a kit that will allow you to hook the rear driveshaft to the ebrake so you can keep the brake and get rid of the whine. There are also members who have made the "companion flange" that is needed to do this and have posted pics in the past of how they did it.

Your right, it probably is the t-case. If I switch it over, will it mess with my four wheel drive any.
    "If you can't Dodge it Ram it"

It wont affect the 4WD or low range at all. The only difference you will have is that the whine is gone. Everything else will work just like is does now.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

My transfer case comes in at about 40 MPH and will scream louder than the 38" TSL's and the Big Block the faster I go......I gotta get that 205 installed.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I never heard my exhaust at speed until I swapped mine...then I thought...Hey...what is that noise? Oh...its my exhaust...dont sound too bad...

You had to be there...

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    I never heard my exhaust at speed until I swapped mine...then I thought...Hey...what is that noise? Oh...its my exhaust...dont sound too bad...

You had to be there...
    I know that experience.......
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

VPW does not have the kits any more. Not to be back ordered, either.

Wet CJ did an awesome write-up on an adapter that he made using a 4 bolt flange (standard driveline part) to re-position his. Search the archives. It's in there.

I asked the local machine shop and got a quote of about a hundred bucks for the machine work on the adapter, and the other parts are less than 75 bucks, so that's cheaper than the VPW kit was, anyway.

Bear in mind that the shaft nut on the back of the t-case is like an inch and 5/16 or something, so your standard 1/2 inch drive socket set ain't gonna cut it.

1 5/16ths does ring a bell...torque is 140-160 ft/lbs.

Goo info twodogs...thanks for updating me!

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    VPW does not have the kits any more. Not to be back ordered, either.

Wet CJ did an awesome write-up on an adapter that he made using a 4 bolt flange (standard driveline part) to re-position his. Search the archives. It's in there.

I asked the local machine shop and got a quote of about a hundred bucks for the machine work on the adapter, and the other parts are less than 75 bucks, so that's cheaper than the VPW kit was, anyway.

Bear in mind that the shaft nut on the back of the t-case is like an inch and 5/16 or something, so your standard 1/2 inch drive socket set ain't gonna cut it.
    Could you give us a parts list? This is a job I am gearing up for, and would like an idea oof the stuff I am going to need to buy.

Zach