Thread: NP 200 to NP 205 speedo gear.

Default NP 200 to NP 205 speedo gear.

Will the speedo gears interchange? I ask because the 200 is on passenger side and the 205 is on the drivers. I would just try it, but with the parking brake conversion on the 205, It is going to be a total PITA to get the gear out of the 205 and then get the other one back in. Plus it's been 100 plus degrees here for a week and I'll be doing this work on the smokin' hot driveway. If no one knows, I'll just be the test subject I guess... Thanks in advance, Bill

Members have said in the past that the passengers side 205 and 200 gears interchange...whether that will remain true with the drivers side drop, I dont know.

It's passenger side drop, just the speedo gear is on the driver's side of the bearing retainer on the 205. The modded bearing retainer from the 200 has the parking brake mounting cast into it. This large casting is partially blocking the speedo gear. Sorry, shoulda been more clear 'bout that. Thanks for the info, I'll be more inclined to give it a shot now that I know it should work. The speedo is about 15-25 miles off since swapping the T-cases.

My dodge 205 and 200 speedo gears will bolt into the the other one. But, the gears don't really match up right. I tried going through the Dodge dealer to get a different tooth count 205 gear, but they needed an exact part number to find it. Lanty couldn't even help with that without a number.

Drive it, see how far off you are and then start looking for the right tooth count is my suggestion. Anything you do know will be guess work and just as likely to be wrong.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

From trans gears I have played with in the past, more teeth on the pinion gear slows the speedo, less teeth, speeds it up.

It won't interchange. Not even close. The 205 is a married 1977 model and had an aluminum bearing retainer, so I guess there was a change at some point. I'm thinking of getting a GPS and keep it on the speedometer setting and then using the speedo spot in the dash for a tach. Of course then, I'll have to worry about the GPS unit growing feet...

Thanks for the update though it doesnt work for you...might answer someone elses query later on.

Why not use the elect speed-o, with the correct miles installed on it? They can be set to read right. ???

Electric is a good idea. Miles don't matter a lot since so much has been swapped. But the adaptability is there for when I swap gear ratio later. Thanks.