Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tunes in yer Truck

Default Tunes in yer Truck

I am at the phase now of planning the stereo install. I happened acrossed a set of 6 1/2" marine speakers..might be picking up a set of 6x9's as well. wondering how those of you who have installed stereos in your 715's have done so already and where you placed your speakers. Pictures would be much appreciated.

All I can hear is
    the roar of the engine,
    the wind whistling around the top and through gaps in the weather strips,
    and the whine of the transfer case.

I don't think there is a big enough speaker to block out all that.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I put a radio in, but I can't hear it much when driving....Its more for stationary times.

I just installed a tractor radio from Tractor Supply, that is self contained in its own box with the radio, speaker and antenna. I painted it OD and it works fine with my XM. Hangs under the dash and looks factory.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I researched marine speakers when I did my radio install. On boats, they have to be replaced every 2-4 years. I didn't see the difference between buying the cheapest things the Mart of Wal had and replacing them every 2-4 years and spending the big bucks for speakers that will last about the same time.

I went with cheapo 4-1/2" round ones screwed in with one screw each in the top corners of the rear cab. Behind the gun mount on the drivers side. A Sony cd player provides the tunes. It has a digital volume button. 14 is the level I have to be at to hear music, words to music and a dj with the engine running and the truck sitting still. I have to go to 18 to hear the same at speeds below 30. Above 30 and I max it out at 23. With the half doors and top on, I can normally hear music at warp speed (54 mph) but it really depends on the cross wind. CD's I can hear fine because they have a higher better sound to them.

If I really want to hear the radio, I put on my aircraft intercom system which I plug into the rca plugs on the tuner. Then I can hear just fine and talk to other people in the truck.

Save your money and buy something you won't mind throwing away in a year or 4.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

oh these I got cheap. They were special orders for some guy at best buy who nvr came and got them. They were on double clearance for about $20. The 6x9's are the cheap ones off ebay and the deck is a $99 best buy special...cheapest deck I can get that has the front port for Ipods and is Sat Ready. Im still young and dumb so the music is more for the trail rides out with the boys...long lines for the mud holes gives plenty of time for a little rocking out. Thanks for some of the input...and kwai...if the music's too loud...your too old.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    All I can hear is
    the roar of the engine,
    the wind whistling around the top and through gaps in the weather strips,
    and the whine of the transfer case.

I don't think there is a big enough speaker to block out all that.
    I can't hear myself think. Hell, I use ear plugs when I drive.
    M715 W/W, M37

WHAT? DID SOMEBODY SAY SOMETHING? HELLO? HELLO?
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Check out the stereo in my truck:

(its bungy-corded to the dash, satalite radio and 8 D-batterys, pretty high tech stuff)

Hummer, I dig the high clearance fender option. Rare and highly collectible.

No tunes for me, but if you are set on having them, may want to mount the receiver in a 30 cal ammo can with a quick connect plug. Keep it dry and take it inside for theft prevention.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Quote Originally Posted by BulletSponge View Post
    and kwai...if the music's too loud...your too old.

Being too old may not be the issue, maybe the music just sucks. Just an observation mind you, not implying that yours sucks. 'Cause after all I don't know what you listen to.

Some people seem to think that just because they think some music is good that everyone thinks it is. Ahh, it ain't so. So keeping that in mind, my volume tends to stay down when I might be infringing. Used to be called courtesy, but that is sadly lacking, especially in todays younger generation.

Again not aimed at you, just an observation.