Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front end shimmy

Default Front end shimmy

I'm getting a little front end shimmy now and then. I never noticed this before I installed the Selectro locking hubs. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm about to add power steering and want to make it right the first time.

What tires are you running and what psi? Did you re-pack the front bearings while you had the hubs apart?

Just guessing on the tires and loose front bearings. My "Death Wobble" was cured by XZL tires. I tried everything else before also. I had a XL on the front at the FE a month ago and couldn't go over 40 before they were back. Tires make a huge difference on this.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Could be the nut behind the steering wheel Bill

Does it still do it after the tires warm up?
    Tom

Tim, I'm running Goodyear Hi-Milers. They are worn evenly and all match. I'll check the bearings if it becomes regular. Right now, it's very intermittant. I thought maybe since the Selectros take some of the load off the tires, maybe something changed because of that. It hasn't done it in the last two days though.
    Tom, the tires haven't cooled down in days with this 100 degree weather. The nut behind the wheel can never be ruled out either. LOL

me death wobble has been traced down to a bad kingpin on the right side and it also caused me to blow out an ndt coming back from colorado. not sure why but when I blew out an ndt and put the boggers back on the front I was able to flat tow at speeds over 65 when before I wasnt able to go above 50 before It started whipping around on the road. my 725 had death wobble ever since I got it and never could find any loose parts on the front end until just before the trip to Co. and Ive had it on the lift alot of times. the right lower kingpin finally reared its head after 3 years on the road.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

Could be a bent wheel or tire out of balance (lost a weight maybe), try rotating the tires, if the wobble becomes an intermittent kind of a "groaning" noise, you moved the offending tire to the back of the truck. . .

It could just be all tire related. My '05 Wrangler had a real bad wabble at 50mph when I had the previous set of tires rotated. The tires were balanced and appeared to have no un-even wear, yet on the front they shook so violently that it was undrivable. I now rotate them with every other oil change.

I've seen perfectly balanced tires out of round before. Most tire stores won't tell you either. Jack up the truck, and get the tires off the ground. Place a coffee can near, or almost under the tire and give the wheel a spin. Watch the distance between the tire and can. I've had bad out of round tires that were balanced and made my truck drive like shat.

In an attempt to fix it, I put two of my spares on. The problem got way worse. I did the jack and spin with a stationary object like Todd said, and they were both out of round. After rotating the rears to the front, the problem is almost completely fixed. Basically, it's the tires not the truck.

Glad it worked out, usually it's tires or that's the first thing to rule out.