Thread: Shocks- Recomendations

Default Shocks- Recomendations

I am in dire need of shocks- I compress them and they stay that way and I was wondering if anyone has had good luck with a particular after market shock. Please include the recommended specifications if possible so I can purchase the right ones, I also need the steering damper.Thanks

The original shocks are not "gas" shocks. When out of the vehicle, they will not extend automatically like most modern day shocks.

Robt

True...the stock shocks are "fluid filled" but contain NO gas charge and will not auto extend.

These are aftermarket but have no stickers or identifying data. They have red boots.

Procomp and some other modern shocks can be oil filled and not gas charged. The boots aren't a great identifying point. My procomp shocks data was engraved into the tube, so it can be hard to read since the paint can fill the engraving- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

I just checked my stock shocks and they are 21.5" long extended, this would translate to:

Pro-Comp part numbers:

321500 (hydraulic shock - oil filled)

921500 (nitrogen charged)

These things run about $34 each for the hydraulic shock:

http://bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/prod...pid=767&cid=14

and $36.25 for the nitrogen shock:

http://bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/prod...pid=768&cid=14

and for those of you that want Ranchos:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/...lag=3&brand=24

Just to be sure to put that you have an M715 when it asks for the year and model so we get you the correct shocks. Also, if you find a cheaper price, we'll beat it.

Default Rear Shock Part Numbers

I just mounted Monroe Gas-matic LT Shocks, P/N 59574, on my M725 and they fit fine. And, they were on sale for $21 each from Advance Auto Parts. I have not yet driven the truck to see how they help with rear sway.
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

what rear sway are you talking about? I was very lucky because I found 2 front and two rear nos shocks in our spare parts box at the firehouse, i bought new bushings and were good to go, but i drove it for a couple weeks without shocks and didnt feel a sway then either

Duane

I put the rancho's on mine...what a world of difference. No more frequency bounce in the front or rear end, everythings tightened up quite a bit, and it's a hell of a lot more driveable.

--Wintermute