Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What did I get myself into!!!!

Pour just a little in and rev it up...repeat a few times....cleans the carbon and any other junk out.....
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Even stuck rings will give you some sort of compression.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepistDoug/IA
    I think I got a head gasket from napa for around $100.

cAN'T REMEMBER WHERE, BUT i BOUGHT A PISTON FOR $30, SOME OTHERS WANTED $100 PER PISTON, SO SHOP AROUND.
    cap locks...Grrrr
    Felpro# HS8169 $15.24 + shipping www.rockauto.com. But I will check autozone they can order felpro gaskets. What is hydro lock?

sounds pretty bad but could be stuck valves but I suspect you have bad blown head gasket or a nice path between the two cylinders with either the head or block ate up. I hope im wrong. Dont put water down the engine unless its runnin and even then rev it up to about 2500 rpms and slowly trickle it down into the carb, not enough to kill it or hydro lock it, just to clean carbon off of pistons and only aftrer its warmed up do you do it. if you put air into the cylinders to check for valve leaks, ect, make sure you have the valves in the normal closed position and add alittle to start with just in case the piston is at top of cyl. it will push the piston down usually.
    hydro lock is when you fill the cylinder with fluid and the piston cant compress fluids so it forces the piston to hydraulicly lock up, it cant move and will even break pistons, rods, cranks, ect.
    let us know what you find out. good luck
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

Earlier I poured marvel mystery oil in all the cyl. to let them soak over night. Should I make sure it is all out of them before starting??? This hydrolock thing sounds really really BAD. I dont need anymore work.....

you probably didnt pour enough down the engine to cause it but just to be safe pull your plugs and then you can crank it with the starter and it'll blow any fluid out safely and wont cause any damage, then put your plugs back in and you will be fine. Dave
    the pistons can compress air but not fluids so something has to give and the weakest link goes first, usually.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

Quote Originally Posted by littlejohn
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepistDoug/IA
    I think I got a head gasket from napa for around $100.

cAN'T REMEMBER WHERE, BUT i BOUGHT A PISTON FOR $30, SOME OTHERS WANTED $100 PER PISTON, SO SHOP AROUND.
    cap locks...Grrrr
    Felpro# HS8169 $15.24 + shipping www.rockauto.com. But I will check autozone they can order felpro gaskets. What is hydro lock?

OOPS I messed up this PN. is for the 232 don't get this one......

I called napa today and one of the guys said he can order the head gasket for $24.95 plus shipping. :!: I will get a part number and post it. Turns out it might be stuck valves after all!!! I am going to pull the head and send it out for a valve job just as soon as I get all the parts. I'm going to drive it if it kills or breaks me

Sorry guys, That might have been for the kit now that I think of it, but it was not a complete kit. Think you had to order the valve cover seperate.

When I was born, God asked me if I wanted a long memory, or a long.............. what were we talking about???????
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

10. Default

Doug-I was hoping that you just had the decimal point in the wrong place..............too much information!
    1969 M715