Thread: Tornado Season is Over

Default Tornado Season is Over

The fuel pump was leaking out of the vent due to a bad diaphragm.
    I replaced it with an unused one that the previous owner provided with the truck.
    I assume it was NOS and not compatible to the ethanol laced gasoline of today, as a few weeks after install, it began to leak also.

Then whilst traveling along my merry way the fire went out and I coasted gently to the side of the road.
    I suspected the leaking fuel pump, but had a full fuel filter and gas in the carb.
    So, gas and cranking power, but I assumed no spark.
    I do not know if the coil has been replaced with one of the infamous Chinese units, but I have my suspicions.

Between the two problems, and the fact that I never much cared for the Tornado engines, it has become time for a transplant.
    I'm installing a 258 I-6 from a 1988 Jeep Wrangler mated to a Borg-Warner T19 4-speed from a Ford 7.3 Diesel pickup.
    A T19 is very similar in appearance to the T18, but has a PTO port on either side and synchronized first gear(so I will lose the romantic whine of the straight cut first ).

I also plan to replace the current transfer case with an NP201 from a 1966 Dodge D200 Power Wagon.

Pictures to follow shortly.
    Roy

Looking good! Always interesting to see what others do with their engine swaps.

Interesting modification!
    Wolf

I don't think you'll ever regret losing the Tornado, good call!

What are your plans for the Tornado? I have a potential project just waiting for an engine/trans donation.

PM sent.