Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a damaged or unusable canvas cab top

Two different colors and I'm eyeballing another truck that is a nice little gem that I found in Maine. I just need to convince the owner he doesn't need it anymore.

Well choices are good. So I had to put the brakes on the top project. Knowing full well it is just about impossible to make a part without the assembly it attaches to present for verification of fit. I found a problem. I had mapped out the top panel and decided to go put the old canvas top on my bows that are sitting in my truck bed. Just to check it for size. Glad I did because I found a whopping 5 inch issue. I can't explain how but the top is way to narrow. It appears to have shrunk somehow. Granted someone moved my middle bow forward a few inches and welded it to the door frame. I verified the bow is the correct height with a spare that Fisherman gave me. So that is not the issue.
    With the passenger side snapped in place, this is what I found.

So I will hold off and get my cab assembled so I can cross check all the measurements. I wanted to do this anyway, but I have been eager to get on this. Thankfully I had not cut any wood for the patterns yet. I have enough firewood for now. I used a different camera someone gave me. The darn thing makes it look like the door frame is bent. Maybe a built in fish eye lens. Goofy.
    I guess I had better get that truck together for the rest of this.

Wow, I cannot believe how much that shrunk. That top was on there at one point.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know, strange eh? I have been pondering why or how it has such a huge shrinkage to it. Like it spent a week in a dryer. Not to big of a deal. The top is giving me a basic profile and all I need to do is adjust for dimensions. I am going to concentrate on the cab repairs, getting the windshield on and same with the top bows. So I guess stay tuned. Most of the detail work is done for patterning.

Blog Entries

While on the top .. topic ... LOL .... anyone ever dyed one another color like dark grey or black? Or can I get them made in diff colors. I know I can call the current two vendors and ask. But wondering what my options are. Also where are people getting the non-canvas ones from???

If you can convince the trimmer to make you a top from a material of your choice let me know. I do have very intimate knowledge of how to secure the worlds best OEM convertible/Jeep (and soon to be Broncos) topping in an array of colors. This stuff isn’t cheap, but I can get at cost to lessen the pain.

The top did not shrink by 5 plus inches. It just was not on correctly and it has only shrunk by 2.5 inches. I finally have patterns cut last night, I need to super clean the area from all the saw dust. Then unroll the material for cutting. I have switched back to a camera that requires resizing each picture. I will post up something soon. I need a new camera.

Back at it. I trust everyone had a good Christmas. So I am throwing darts with a blindfold on. Never having done a truck top before I am purely winging it. I gave it my best estimate's on patterns made from a slightly shrunken top and measuring the truck just enough times to create general confusion. There are 4 panels to a M715 top. Each one has it own features that must be added before joining the whole conglomeration together. I am working on that right now. I added three inches to the top panel to make it wider. It needs a little more to be right. I will adjust that for the next top.

Patterns from Masonite boards ready to trace. All 4 of them.

Finally making the cuts after a light tracing. I started with the header panel. Minimal waste if I scrap it. And I did.

The top panel.

The header panel that slides into the windshield channel must have 5/16 rope. Not 3/8 and not 1/4.. I tried both and 5/16 is the only one that will work. Thankfully I found a bunch of it in a tote I brought back from my Dads place after cleaning up his home. Glad he saved stuff. Now I know where I get it. 5/16 is not a common size.

I sewed up the header with the rope sleeve. I really disliked the edge wrap. It is polyester and walked all over the place when I was trying to sew 5 layers down. My seam stunk also wandering all over the place. So, I headed off to Royal upholstery down in Spokane for some better edge wrap. It is called Binding. 4 hours later I returned with lots of way mo better binding and I also picked up some serious 40 GA clear window plastic. The 26 GA I had was to flimsy. Here is the reject.

Making a new one. I can say not sewing much that holding 5 layers is not easy. I took my time and made something more along the lines of what my expectations are.

Good one with nice binding on the left, Original in the middle, and first try on the right. It took me a little bit to find my sewing hat. I got it now.

Continued because of the 8 picture limit.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; December 29th, 2020 at 12:34 AM.

Some times I burn holes in metal. Sometimes I sew a zig zag when I want a straight stitch. It takes a minute or so to get wrapped around what I am trying to do. This panel turned out well. Just like the original.

I finished the side panels. The top got a 11 1/2 inch pie shaped pleat sewn in right over the middle bow. Time for a fit check. I ended up clamping the front header on to try and get it to be somewhat tight and see where I was at. I have discovered some adjustments are needed to the patterns. I can still use this top, I just need to move some edges around on the patterns for the next top.

A side view. It won't sag when the back panel is attached. It is pretty loose right now. Not for long.

Up front drivers corner.

And another darn blurry shot. At this point I think I need to attach the front panel and stretch it tight to get my door frame snap flaps figured out. Without being tight it is a krap shoot. This top material is amazing. I am enjoying the heck out of this project despite the challenges.

I need to put a window in the back panel and the straps on the back also. It is not to far away from completion.
    I am sure everyone can now see why I can't just send measurements over emails. Heck I don't even know what they are.

More soon.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; December 29th, 2020 at 12:45 AM.

Looks awesome, very impressive.