Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hummer H1 wheels recentered with M715 wheel centers?

Default Hummer H1 wheels recentered with M715 wheel centers?

I am pretty sure I want to install modified H1 wheels on my truck so I can run tubeless radials. I have purchased a set of wheels to cut the centers out of. I plan to recenter the H1 wheels with these centers.

My first question is will my M715 centers fit the H1 wheels?

My next question is where do I find the H1 wheels?

I have read many old posts from several years ago. Many say the wheels are plentiful and inexpensive. I have yet to find where that is true.

here is one source. I bought 4 H1 bias plys from him a few years ago:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=882338
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

M715 wheels are 16", Hummer wheels are 16.5

Are you thinking of leaving some material to make the difference up.....it is early and I could be missing something so my apologies in advance if thats the case.

There are at least two different style HMMWV rims. Bolt together 8 stud and bolt together 12 stud. There might have been a 10 stud version, but I am not sure.

The different styles had different run flat inserts, different O-rings for sealing and I think everything else was the same.

The 12 stud is the one everybody wants and they cost a little more on Ebay and such. PM Sermis if you really thing you need to have a set or two.

Whatever style you buy, stock up on the proper Oring for that style, remove the run flats, don't try to mix and match different style parts, buy a 10 pound tub of grease/vasoline/rtv to "help" the oring actually seal and you should be good to go.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I have a set for sale right now. I bought them and was planning to do exactly what you are talking about when a set already made popped up for sale. Mine are a set of 8 bolt beadlocks. I can remove the tires, get you some pics, measurements, etc. I'll PM you the details and my number.

i just saw 24 bolt hummer type rims for sale at iola wi military show
    they had 2 bolts close together then a little bigger space then the next 2
    they looked way cool first time i've seen this type
    i think he said $25 -8 bolt $35-12 bolt $100-24 bolt no inserts
    he had 4 recentered rims ready to go $ 125 each not sure 8 or 12 bolt
    rodney feltz marshfield wi he is some where on this interweb thing

8 bolts were primarily for the 36" bias ply
    12 bolts for the 37" radial
    24 bolts for the uparmored Hummers

As stated, stock up on the orings and dont try and reuse them, risky at best. Runflats are neat and useful. Jusat remember that the weight of the vehicle is having to be supported by the clamping force of the bolts (hence increase in H1 bolts as the tire and weight combos went up). Reusing an oring will result in leaks and possibly a flat tire at speed. Yes the tire wont come off but losing air at speed can total the rig just the same

Keep us posted.....

Default recentered HUMMER rims and HUMMER tires

I have a set of the 8-bolt re-centered rims on mine and I really like the way they look. I bought them from http://www.TrailWorthyFab.com. I also paid a little extra and had them power-coat them with Olive Drab. They also have radial HUMMER tires for sale. I chose instead to drive to Albemarie NC and pick-out my own 90 percent tread tires that I found on e-bay. Remember to order a spare too!

One warning here I need to add. I do not have good braking with these tires. I have done both the dual master cylinder conversion, and the wheel cylinder conversion and I am trying to figure out now how to "test" the output of my master cylinder over on another thread. I installed the re-manufactured 1" bore master cylinder (10-1371) and possibly that is the reason for the poor braking. Do some more research here first.

Good luck with your tires.
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

Some observations:

Check the date codes on the take-off HMMWV tires that are going for $50-$75 each... some of these are being sold with dates older than 5 years of age. The military (to my understanding in the research that I have done) has been turning the older date code tires out of stock and into the public domain. And the tire makers don't warranty even 100% new ones that have never been mounted, as they can't ascertain how the tires were stored, if there has been any 'materials degradation' in the tires due to storage, etc.

Note that the 16.5 HMMWV rim is only 8.25" wide between the beads. Note that many reports say that the Goodyear tires from HMMWV's suck. And the bias ply tires aren't round, and flatspot often.

Note as well that you cannot run radials on the 8-bolt rims. Yes, you can PHYSICALLY mount them, but the bead angle on the 8-bolt rim is not correct for the radial tire. Note that many of the 8-bolt rims have cracks in the beadlock - Let the buyer beware...

Investigate the HMMWV rim as well & note that the beadlock rim nuts were 5-sided, not 6-sided like a standard hex nut - you'll need to replace these with a proper graded nut if you buy takeoff rims with tires mounted & opt to dismantle them yourself -

Note: you should not use the 8-bolt magnesium runflat insert on a 12-bolt rim. Most folks are using PVC inserts in their place.

The HMMWV rims that have centers cutout & re-centered are limited in the amount of backspacing or offset that can be achieved...

I'm in the same boat in looking at taller tires for an M37 in order to 'cheat' the final drive ratios. Consider that you can buy custom wheels ordered in a 16.5 diameters by "X" width from MRW (Marsh Racing Wheels) with an M715 center & your choice of backspacing/offset and with/without a beadlock & mount the HMMWV tires. I'm really leaning towards a 40" tire on a 17"x9" MRW 1-pc wheel with an M37 'Budd' pattern center...

Do your own research before you decide a definite direction to take. I wouldn't dare attempt to talk you out of using the HMMWV wheels, but also consider that the 16.5" size does limit you in upgrading to taller tires in the future.

...and Thanks to MJCouglar for posting some of this info in previous posts! (I KNEW that I had pulled this from somewhere)

'Tanner'