Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: beachwood canvas top vs surplus city top

Default beachwood canvas top vs surplus city top

Ok, I am about a week or so away from ordering a top, should be painting about then and after some ebay sales, I have the money. I am wondering how many, or if any of you guys have a top from Beachwood canvas? Beachwood has always been known for their quality in the ww2 jeep dept, and after calling both places, they will both be made within the week of ordering. by the time I ship the one from Surplus city to me, I can get the Beachwood one for less then 20.00 more. ( I drive over the beachwood in less than 45 minutes). in the pictures, the Surplus city top looks a little darker, compared to the Beachwood one. any input on these would be appreciated.

Thanks

Duane

I have the Surplus City top. I am very satisfied with it.

Down the road there is a good chance you will want the bed canvas that matches color. I'd look at both prices together.
    Thanks for all the help!

I bought a surplus city top, it fit good however the first rain it leaked an I had to apply canvas preservative to seal it.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

I put on the beechwood. You have to install the snaps, which is kinda of a pain. But if you take your time you get a good fit. My truck had to be parked outside in the weather for about 9 months. the top did not leak.
    I saw a weebee (or however you spell it) top at a car show. It looked good also.

I dont know if it is just my perception, but the colors look alot different, the beachwood one seems much more khaki

Beachwwod one

https://www.beachwoodcanvas.com/orde...KS2309&line=16

surplus city one

http://www.surplusjeep.com/images/M715%20Top%201.JPG

another pic of the beachwood one

http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbui.../photo_15.html

I dont know is one is more period correct then the other, or what looks better, witch I know is all opinion.

The color diff. is proably due to the preservative they use, preservative comes clear or colored, Im sure they have different suppliers. I do know many yrs. ago the industry standard for canvas preservative was determined hazardous an discontinued. The formula beachwood uses does have a 'florescent' appearance to it.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/album.php?albumid=7

You can see the Surplus City top in several pictures in this album.
    Ken
    Thanks for all the help!

You might have them send you a swath of cloth in the color they use to compair. Years ago New Life Canvas sent me samples.

Default Beachwood Canvas Top

I just installed a Beachwood Canvas Top over the winter. It fit really nice but putting the snaps was a pain. They also dont give you any extra snaps in case you mess one up. New Life Canvas makes one like the M37 in which the back window panel rolls up. That would be nice for summer and parades. I am thinking about ordering one of those too. I have attached photos of my Beachwood top.
    Last edited by BlessedM715; July 24th, 2010 at 11:22 PM.
    BlessedM715

John 15:13
    Greater love has no one than this, That he lay down his life for his friends...

I have a couple of the new life canvas tops (stock and with roll-up rear window) and a surplus city top. I think the quality of new life canvas tops are better. I think the canvas is a heavier weight as well. My Beachwood top is the vinyl style. It's pretty nice but doesn't have that canvas smell and it doesn't have the canvas sag either.

I prefere the new life canvas tops with the roll-up rear window. It's much cooler here in the south on those hot summer days.