Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible to 3D Print a 1920 Float?

Default Possible to 3D Print a 1920 Float?

I am almost completely ignorant of this process, but this idea came to me the other day while obsessing on the life expectancy of my carb float.

I was sick for quite a while, I had LOTS of time to obsess on various things.

Is this 3D-print idea even remotely possible?

yes

Holley 1920 floats should be out there. Chrysler Products used them in their 170/198/225 CID Slant Six engines.

Are they hard to find?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Holley 1920 floats should be out there. Chrysler Products used them in their 170/198/225 CID Slant Six engines.

Are they hard to find?
    Unobtainium, it seems. I haven't seen them offered anywhere that sells 1920 parts or rebuild kits. If they're out there, I haven't found them.

The floats are solid. I have never had a problem with the floats. Lot's of problems with ethanol and the rubber parts but no float problems.

What problem are you seeing with the float?

Obsess much?

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    The floats are solid. I have never had a problem with the floats. Lot's of problems with ethanol and the rubber parts but no float problems.

What problem are you seeing with the float?

Obsess much?
    I wasn't aware they were solid, and the problem I see is that they're not available, and not something readily lending itself to shadetree fabrication.

I've been sick for almost a month-- I've had lots of time to ruminate on things.

just buy a spare carb or two and a couple of rebuild kits. then you will have a lifetime of spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    just buy a spare carb or two and a couple of rebuild kits. then you will have a lifetime of spare parts.
    I got a spare carb with my truck. Thanks for the suggestion.

The reason I asked the question I did wasn't to annoy or mystify those reading it, but to clear up a question about a part that might qualify for what I call "Achilles heel" parts, those that aren't available and will sideline the truck until a substitute is found or fabricated. After a simple brake shoe hold-down clip put my truck on the DL for a couple weeks, I'm paying attention to this.

Owners of tri-five Chevys, vintage Mustangs, or CJ-5's have no such issues, but as an owner of a more obscure vehicle I'm wondering what I might need to plan ahead for so I can keep driving my truck.

"Achilles Heel" parts. I like that term. Speaking of such, someone needs to 3D print the crank sensor for the early Dodge V10 trucks. They are ALL sidelined these days...

We are Dyslexia of Grob. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated...

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndA View Post
    "Achilles Heel" parts. I like that term. Speaking of such, someone needs to 3D print the crank sensor for the early Dodge V10 trucks. They are ALL sidelined these days...
    The supply of tie rod ends for M715's seems to be almost gone, and the supply of 12v starters is pretty thin, so there you go.