Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tranny questions

Default tranny questions

I decided to change gear oil in my t-case tranny & axles. It was about 40 deg. outside so I went for a 10 min drive first. What is it that looks like a ball bearing in the drain plug? Both front axle and tranny the oil was a bit foamy. Is that normal? And lookey what I found in the transmission (not the dime) plus a some shavings.

It seems to shift OK. Is there still hope for my tranny? Should I open where PTO attaches to look inside?

Tracy, you still have that transmission in your garage?
    Rob

Thats what I did - I took off the PTO plate and once it drained, I ran a telescoping magnet in the bottom of the tranny. You'd be surprised how many shavings you pick up. That bolt looks like it snapped off inside the tranny. I don't think that bolt has anything to do with how the tranny goes together or will shift etc.
    Change the fluid,, run the magnet around and fill her up. If she was shifting fine, you should be fine! Don't worry...keep it simple.
    I'll never forget one time I was working on a Dodge truck with the NP 435. I had the shifter taken out and the hole where the shifter went into was exactly that, a hole. Here, I was removing the dash and the ashtray had some nuts in it and the ashtray fell out and a bolt dropped right into the top of the tranny through the hole where the shifter was! Needless to say, when I dropped the tranny, I took the top off and there was a nut laying there on top of the gears etc....just a story of how maybe a nut or bolt got in there.

Foamy oil could be one of two things, . .some oil additives will foam, but most commonly it is a little bit of condensation. Did the oil look like a chocolate milkshake? If so, it was probably water, either from condensation or from a little water navigation. . .either way, I would recommend checking the axles and transfer case for similar condition, . .and change the oil in them also it they are the same way, . . .

I flushed my tranny and xfer case with mineral spirits 3-4 times each, then let air dry and re-filled. no problems.

Hey Rob, Sorry just sold the tranny this week to Terry B.
    Sounds like you could just do a flush and press-on, as long as ther aren't any part numbers on the chunks you drained. Did you get any "gold dust" from the synchro's? The ball bearing thing you talked about sounds like a magnet installed in the drain plug, just brush with a stiff brush/wipe away any paste and viola~

Been really busy this week piddling with the small stuff on the truck, thers alot to do still but I'm making progress. Body goes into paint next week. T

I wondered how that bolt could've gotten in unless fire dept may have dropped or used one too long installing PTO. Front axle also looked a bit like a choco shake. Who knows the last time these fluids were changed so could be condensation. Did not really notice any gold flakes. That fill hole on tranny is hard to get to and I haven't looked at t-case yet. Any body ever use something like this? http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/g2039.aspx Says it'll do 1oz per pump so just 104 pumps for tranny...

Glad to hear you're making progress T. Weather hasn't been too cooperative.

I have an old 1 gallon stainless pump up sprayer I use. Fill it with 90wt, place the hose in the fill plug with sprayer removed, add air into the sprayer. I removed the air guage from the spray tank and use an air chuck to add air insted of pumping it a lot. When full, oil will start to come out, remove hose and install plug. I used it last on my M35 and was able to do all 3 axels, trans, and transfer in 30 minutes or so.

Take the gear oil in the house and get it nice and warm to hot....it'll flow real nice.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I got a t-98 if your interested

Quote Originally Posted by davemooney1 View Post
    I got a t-98 if your interested
    I might just be. I'm going take off the PTO this weekend and look inside. What part of IL are you in? I have business in Mt Vernon this week.
    Thanks,
    Rob