Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Project: In over my head (again)

Very nice!

Ok, weekend summary time! After going back out to the garage Saturday morning and being pleasantly surprised by the engine still being in the truck, I decided to try to get it to a point where I can test fire it. This will require putting on the intake, hooking up all of the electrical bits, plumbing a fuel system, and figuring out what exactly the computer needs to see.

It started out easy enough. I installed the upper intake manifold and draped the engine wring harness over it. Everything was plugging in easy enough and looking good. But when I brought over the rest of the harness, my head just started to spin. I’m note great at wiring and the last time I did a whole car, I let the smoke out a couple times… So I sat and stared at it for a while to figure out my way forward. I think it will be best to go through all of my diagrams and schematics to determine which wire is which and label them all. There’s a lot in the dodge harness that I don’t need (it’s lights really) but I do need the gauges, sensors, sending units, etc.

After determining that that was going to take a lot of work, I shifted gears to the fuel tank. My thought was to graft the top of the Dodge tank onto the 715 tank so I can use exactly what the V10 is expecting. I had assumed there would be a lot of flat surface area on the Dodge tank around the fuel system drop-in. There was not. After I was done cutting away everything, there’s not a lot left. I’m not sure that I’ll be able to do it now. I’m going to ask some people at work. Maybe they’ll have a good idea for a way forward.

the donor tank

top removed

guesstimating placement

and all that's left after trimming...

@hayeselmotors

When that roadblock surfaced, I changed gears again to redoing the heater box. It was pretty humid yesterday so the paint may not have come out the best, but it looks better. I gave it a new, non-leaking, heater core and slapped it back together. When I went to put it back on the truck, I found out that it interferes with the coil packs. So now I’m fabricating a mount to move them forward 2”. If it’s not one thing it’s another right?

painting all of the heater box pieces

reassembled. Not too shabby!

And the coil pack interference

starting to modify my spare bracket to move the coil packs 2" forward

So hopefully I’ll at least get my coil packs relocated today/tomorrow and I can start sorting all of the wires. I’ll worry about the fuel tank later.

@hayeselmotors

I was able to get my ignition coil pack relocation done and painted yesterday. I think it came out pretty good.

As far as wiring everything up, I've been thinking about it and talking it over with my friends and co-workers. The harness that came with the engine (the one in the pics) is only a partial harness. It's the engine harness, PCM/ECM, and front half of the body harness. Instead of starting there and adding a lot of wires, I've decided to remove the full harness from the donor truck in my driveway. I drove that truck before I bought it so I know it works (minus the knocking engine that goes through coolant like it's its job). I'm labeling every connector as I remove it and hopefully once it's out, I can roughly put it into the 715 to test fire the engine! After that, I'll run the harness and remove what systems I don't need. I still want to keep the 715 body harness intact since it works and doesn't need anything at the moment. I'll have to make changes for gauges, radios, extra lights, wipers, different A/C, and remove ABS systems, Cruise Control, etc. Hopefully this all goes smoothly.

@hayeselmotors

for my EFI fuel sender I used the Holley retrofit unit.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...e/parts/12-130

I had to add the extended drop bracket since our tanks are just over 15" deep but with the long hydromat I don't expect any fuel supply issues. I know this is kind expensive but it was VERY easy to install, allowed me access to really clean out the tank and allows me to utilize the existing opening for the fuel level gauge sending unit.

Quote Originally Posted by TXfirefighter View Post
    for my EFI fuel sender I used the Holley retrofit unit.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...e/parts/12-130

I had to add the extended drop bracket since our tanks are just over 15" deep but with the long hydromat I don't expect any fuel supply issues. I know this is kind expensive but it was VERY easy to install, allowed me access to really clean out the tank and allows me to utilize the existing opening for the fuel level gauge sending unit.
    I had looked at that one as well as the aeromotive kit. I'm doing the same thing just with the dodge fuel module. I figure the dodge module is what the ECU is already looking for and if anything breaks, it's a $60 part.

Speaking of, I was able to remove the wiring harness from the donor 2500 yesterday. It only took about 3 days haha. My hands are beat up from the IP metal and everything hurts from contorting into strange positions. But it's out! and now I can hook it all up and see if I can't get the engine to fire for a few seconds. I might put the fuel module in a 5gal bucket with some gas to test it. But I'm not sure how safe that would be...

the 2nd engine harness

IP harness, gauge cluster, and rear harness

blurry pic of the front harness and power distribution block.

and what's left of the unsuspecting dodge IP

@hayeselmotors

I was able to make decent progress this weekend with the wiring and fuel system. When I put the 2500's harness on the engine, I quickly discovered most of the connectors were different. There were the same number of pins, same color wires, just different shaped connectors. I think it's because the engine is from a '95 truck and the harness is from an '01. I switched the coil packs and injectors on the engine but I had to splice some of the old connectors onto the newer harness.

splicing the new harness together

I plugged it all in and it's all looking good so far. I key'd on the power and the 2500's gauge cluster lit up and showed the warnings that I expected. Next is to test ignition, then see if it will burn with starting fluid, then a full on gas test. My started motor should come in today so hopefully I can get a test fire done!

harness temporarily installed onto the engine with my controls at the front.

I also started the process of modifying my fuel tank. I was terrified to cut it since these tanks are pretty hard to come by. Luckily, it all went well and it should work for me! I cut a ~5.5" opening for the dodge fuel module and drilled holes for mounting screws.

cutting the hole

setting the screw positions

A piece of fuel-resistant rubber is sandwiched between the fuel module flange and the tank. I applied copious amounts of fuel resistant sealant to the rubber, flange, and exterior. It should keep the gas in.

test fit

The module itself had to be lengthened ~1.75". My measurements put the bottom of the module ~2" from the bottom of the tank. After extending the module and securing it with some screws, I estimate it's ~.25" from the bottom now.

lengthening the module

In an ideal world, it would be making contact, but at least this way, I'll be able to utilize more of the tank's capacity.

all sealed

@hayeselmotors

I got a little more done with the fuel tank last night. Since it has a giant new hole in the top, I figured this was the perfect excuse to clean it out. I had had rusty fuel problems a couple years ago when I first started driving the truck so I'd like to avoid a repeat of that. Luckly, it's all surface rust and I was able to clean off everything I could reach. I used some CLR, a lot of water, and a scotch-brite pad. Aside from the other side of the baffle where I can't reach, it cleaned up pretty well! Now I just need to clean and paint the exterior.

Before:

After!

@hayeselmotors

Hi I am a new member. I just came across your thread, and spent a decent amount of time reading it all. Your build looks awesome! Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCitrusMaster View Post
    Hi I am a new member. I just came across your thread, and spent a decent amount of time reading it all. Your build looks awesome! Keep up the good work!
    Thanks Man!

So today, the big milestone happened! The engine was turned on!!!

https://www.facebook.com/hayeselmoto...78681454/?t=10

After a minor problem with fuel pressure, we got it to run!!! It worked 95% of the way it's supposed to. Cylinder 4 doesn't appear to be igniting. We did a compression test and spark test and it all looks ok. I think the injector is dumping fuel into the cylinder. I'll order a new one and hopefully that will fix it. Other than that, the engine works!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/hayeselmoto...008340672/?t=2

https://www.facebook.com/hayeselmoto...967437641/?t=0

@hayeselmotors