Thread: Troop seat wood length?

Default Troop seat wood length?

what is the length of the wood for the troop seats? I am measuring about 90 inches, and did a search on board and came up with anything from 87 to 91 1/4

Thanks

Duane

This is an email I got from Gary a while back in regards to the troop seats:

"The planks are 3" tall by 3/4" thick and the total length is 87"
    The screws that attach the planks to the brackets are countersunk by a 11/16th" hole.
    The center off the mounting screws are roughly 1 1/2" from the ends of the planks.
    The top two planks have screws/bolts (measuring from inside of the bed behind the drivers side) at 1 1/2" - 41 1/2" - 45 1/2" - 85 1/2"
    The third rail on down has centered screws/bolts at 1 1/2 - 43 1/2" - and 85 1/2"
    The tabs that hold the seat up are 2 3/4" in from the ends.

Now all my measurements were done alone with a 25' tape measure but they are close. I noticed minor irregilarities by 1/16th to 1/8th inches which I think is all about measuring dried up old wood."

Hope it helps.

these measurements were SPOT ON. Made my day when all these planks came together. they look Awesome. thank you

How meney boards do you need for the complete rack and troop seats?
    1969 M715

I just completed mine in the last month using Ronner's measurments. You will need 6 planks for each side. I picked up a set of deuce and a half seats and repurposed the oak for my seats by cutting them down.

thanks for the reply 44willysmb
    1969 M715

Default M 715 troop seat wood

Thanks for the dimensions. As white oak is getting expensive and hard to find, someone told me poplar is a good substitute, just not quite as strong as oak.

Anyone ever use poplar for troop seats?

Chilly

PS Near me is a hardwood shop, they use red oak, BUT, they told me it would not be good for troop seats, because it is quite porous ( compared to white oak), and has a tendency for the ends of the boards to swell and split.

Let me also say that the measurements were spot on. I used them exactly and drilled the holes with a brad point drill after using a forstner bit to sink the hole for the head of he carriage bolt using a drill press.

Thanks for the research!