Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: M715 on Barrett Jackson

Default M715 on Barrett Jackson

Been a while since I've posted due to my green monster being parked waiting for time but I thought I'd toss a question out.

Yesterday I saw a gussied-up M715 on Barrett Jackson go for $ 20,500 plus the buyer's premium so about $ 22,550 in actual costs. Here's a link to it with photos https://azure.barrett-jackson.com/Ev...EP-M715-218355

Original engine...looks like a frame off restoration with a quality paint job. Definitely more into the resto than they got. Mostly original with a few glitches but not any major changes to the bones apparent.

But...the question is, does this hint that people might actually be catching on to these and the market finally showing some interest? Even crap like 1972 mavericks seem to be starting to bring some bucks but until now, the M715 market has been remarkably flat--

It kind of begs the question now as to whether to make it more drivable as per my original plans (like an sbc replacing the "tornado") or whether the wise man now leaves it as stock as possible because the market is changing. Also if throwing more money into the green hole might eventually give a better return in a couple of years.

They also talked up the Tornado engine (without showing it like 99.9% of other sale cars) as though it might be something more than a "not so great" design--implying that the resto market on those might be rising.

Anyway, just curious if you folks see the market changing from those who simply love the old military beasts to some sort of broader collector interest--opinions?

The tornado engine isn't so bad if you don't drive it like an 18 yo private. Remember, the governor was added because it was being driven by 18 yo privates. Just ask Don. He has the speedo pictures to prove it.

As for as value of restoration versus resto-mod, it depends on what the buyer is looking for. Personally, I think a well thought out resto-mod is more valuable.

Not sure about resto-mod truck values, but as far as the BJ truck and what it sold for, I think it would have went higher if it were more original such as paint, interior, and possibly wheels and tires.

IMHO, these trucks are obscure enough that their values will be hard pressed to gather much upward momentum without exposure in a popular movie, or something similar. One out of 20 who ask me about my truck have any idea: 1. That it's not a Dodge. 2. That it's only 50 years old. 3. That it's not some sort of homebuilt improv build, but an actual factory-made military vehicle manufactured by a major(ish) auto company.

The obscurity of M7XX's continues to surprise me, and will continue to be the major factor impeding FJ40-style value increases, IMHO.

The highest value to date was a full Resto-Mod M715. Barrett Jackson last year... $32,000 for an LS-swap, modern axle, 4 wheel disc, PS, PB.

[I mean this in the best way possible] My guess is the "owners who want it stock" are starting to actually shed their OEM's.... New owners want the vehicle history.. but want to drive it with modern comforts.

Same thing happened to 50's cars where they fell flat when original OEM spec'd car owners started dieing off/selling their collections....

Stock M715's in appearance and powertrain have a 11-17k track run on Barret and Mecum...

My stock appearing but axle swapped, fuel tank relocated, power 4 wheel disc, modern axle, power steering, hydroboosted brakes, cummins turbo diesel, 5 speed OD manual I'd expect to bring $22-30k+ at auction. [powdercoated frame, repainted OD etc].

OEM trends just are NOT bringing that kind of money... [whatever side of the fence your on... selling prices are selling prices and are indicative of demand] Too many younger guys don't want to buy manual brakes, manual steering with a constant upkeep motor. Older buyers who want the nolstagia of OEM are simply no longer buying but shedding their vehicles. (67+ years of age is when owners start shedding their collections... not buying more) [Hemmings]
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Default 23 more years!!

Good news! I have 23 more accumulation years!!

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    The highest value to date was a full Resto-Mod M715. Barrett Jackson last year... $32,000 for an LS-swap, modern axle, 4 wheel disc, PS, PB.

[I mean this in the best way possible] My guess is the "owners who want it stock" are starting to actually shed their OEM's.... New owners want the vehicle history.. but want to drive it with modern comforts.

Same thing happened to 50's cars where they fell flat when original OEM spec'd car owners started dieing off/selling their collections....

Stock M715's in appearance and powertrain have a 11-17k track run on Barret and Mecum...

My stock appearing but axle swapped, fuel tank relocated, power 4 wheel disc, modern axle, power steering, hydroboosted brakes, cummins turbo diesel, 5 speed OD manual I'd expect to bring $22-30k+ at auction. [powdercoated frame, repainted OD etc].

OEM trends just are NOT bringing that kind of money... [whatever side of the fence your on... selling prices are selling prices and are indicative of demand] Too many younger guys don't want to buy manual brakes, manual steering with a constant upkeep motor. Older buyers who want the nolstagia of OEM are simply no longer buying but shedding their vehicles. (67+ years of age is when owners start shedding their collections... not buying more) [Hemmings]
    I think the one you talking about was sold at Mecum's in Dallas.?

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    The tornado engine isn't so bad if you don't drive it like an 18 yo private. Remember, the governor was added because it was being driven by 18 yo privates. Just ask Don. He has the speedo pictures to prove it.

As for as value of restoration versus resto-mod, it depends on what the buyer is looking for. Personally, I think a well thought out resto-mod is more valuable.

As to driving the these trucks hard, I must admit that I may be "somewhat" guilty. But, I was 22 and a SP-5 at the time!
    1970, Neu Ulm Germany. I actually stumbled upon the fact that the trucks had a governor when we went to Bremerhaven to off load new trucks from the ship and drive them to Bavaria. It became obvious that "something" was different with these new trucks. Hmmm, GI proofing!!!

Some of the vehicles were also M-757 Pershing 1A vehicles (in which NONE of the diesel fired heaters worked).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bmac6026 View Post
    I think the one you talking about was sold at Mecum's in Dallas.?
    Good catch... yes Mecum

September 2015 so older than I thought... $32,000 + buyers fee's. (Barrett Jackson updates their sites to include buyers fees after hammer drop.

The truck sold for 20,500... but with buyers fees was 22,5xx whatever.

67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

I have no comment on the price on either truck. I like stock trucks