Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy - may be a new M715w/w owner shortly

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Those are some very nice looking vehicles.
    Thanks! My original a1 was a complete resto, the USMC one is a rolling resto. The m715 would be nice too - IF I buy it and can restore it.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by wilfreeman View Post
    Thanks! My original a1 was a complete resto, the USMC one is a rolling resto. The m715 would be nice too - IF I buy it and can restore it.

That M715 has a lot more potential than mine did. I could have done better but I guess mine is just one that was not going to the scrap heap. Even though I have a lot of gear oil leaks, the drive train and engine run very well. For that, I am eternally thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    That M715 has a lot more potential than mine did. I could have done better but I guess mine is just one that was not going to the scrap heap. Even though I have a lot of gear oil leaks, the drive train and engine run very well. For that, I am eternally thankful.
    It's just marking its territory - mine do it too! One day I'll get around to fixing all of them. At least you saved it from the scrapper!
    Matt

It's just marking its territory - mine do it too! One day I'll get around to fixing all of them. At least you saved it from the scrapper!
    Yes. I salvaged all of the wiring on my truck. Any "repairs" or "modifications" have been removed and everything is back to stock.

If I find a place in the wiring that has deteriorated, I just cut back the non-adhesive tape and splice in a new piece of wire. I solder the connection, heat shrink it and just wrap it with new non-adhesive black tape, just like original. You can find pieces of NOS wire harnesses cheap at various places, stuff that is new and often has the Packard ends on them that you want.

My hood mounted blackout lamp had a badly deteriorated wire. That is exactly what I did and now it is soft and works as it should.

I hope you get that truck (if the bed and/or cab floor are good). Please, keep us in the loop.

Yes. I salvaged all of the wiring on my truck. Any "repairs" or "modifications" have been removed and everything is back to stock.

If I find a place in the wiring that has deteriorated, I just cut back the non-adhesive tape and splice in a new piece of wire. I solder the connection, heat shrink it and just wrap it with new non-adhesive black tape, just like original. You can find pieces of NOS wire harnesses cheap at various places, stuff that is new and often has the Packard ends on them that you want.

My hood mounted blackout lamp had a badly deteriorated wire. That is exactly what I did and now it is soft and works as it should.

I hope you get that truck (if the bed and/or cab floor are good). Please, keep us in the loop.
    That's the way I like to do it if I can't get the complete wire out easily. The only problem I always have is that I NEVER order the correct tape! I always plan on doing it after I realize I don't have any, but I never do! Do you have a good source for it? The M38a1 I am working on needs a complete harness, but I'm not feeling paying ~$900 for a new one right now! I bought an NOS M35a1 harness for $20 off eBAy months ago that is fairly close to the M38a1 and will work with a few mods. I will have to in and RE tape the whole harness though. I am also going to build it with integrated turn signals.
    Matt

That's the way I like to do it if I can't get the complete wire out easily. The only problem I always have is that I NEVER order the correct tape! I always plan on doing it after I realize I don't have any, but I never do! Do you have a good source for it? The M38a1 I am working on needs a complete harness, but I'm not feeling paying ~$900 for a new one right now! I bought an NOS M35a1 harness for $20 off eBAy months ago that is fairly close to the M38a1 and will work with a few mods. I will have to in and RE tape the whole harness though. I am also going to build it with integrated turn signals.
    Matt, try this link:

http://www.amkproducts.com/bulk5.asp?part=B-11666

This is the right stuff. What I have was some that my dad got when he worked at the Glenn L Martin Co. in Middle River, MD. Mine is old but still soft and like new.

Here is the PDF Catalog of everything they have:

http://www.amkproducts.com/Catalog_PDF.htm

I have not purchased anything from them but have no doubt it is the right stuff.

Matt, try this link:

http://www.amkproducts.com/bulk5.asp?part=B-11666

This is the right stuff. What I have was some that my dad got when he worked at the Glenn L Martin Co. in Middle River, MD. Mine is old but still soft and like new.

Here is the PDF Catalog of everything they have:

http://www.amkproducts.com/Catalog_PDF.htm

I have not purchased anything from them but have no doubt it is the right stuff.
    Thanks Don

Matt

Default project 715 candidate

Looks like a PVC pipe filler modification back there?

Sure is!

Update on this - I haven't been back to talk to the gut. The last I heard, he had a $9k price on it. I decided to hold on to my $$ and use part of it to finish my USMC M38a1.
    Matt

Posting through tapatalk was really easy!

Indeed-- if I can do it, your dog can, and you CERTAINLY can.